Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

how to write query Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:44 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 10:53 PM
BTW. I really like this.

Jeff Moden (8/31/2013)

That's why I teach my Developers to learn the more performant methods... so they can do it in their sleep and won't have to rewrite code to fix performance problems that should have been avoided to begin with.

You can lead a horse to water but how the heck do you get the beast to drink?

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1493986
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:01 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:27 AM
dwain.c (9/11/2013)
BTW. I really like this.

Jeff Moden (8/31/2013)

That's why I teach my Developers to learn the more performant methods... so they can do it in their sleep and won't have to rewrite code to fix performance problems that should have been avoided to begin with.

It takes a lot of patience but the answer is, hire only those horses that are willing to drink and make the water taste good.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1494113
Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:18 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 10:53 PM
Jeff Moden (9/12/2013)
dwain.c (9/11/2013)
BTW. I really like this.

Jeff Moden (8/31/2013)

It takes a lot of patience but the answer is, hire only those horses that are willing to drink and make the water taste good.

It seems all of the ones we hire foul the creek.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1494126
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse