Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

View Contents of a Log Backup Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 7:26 AM
I noticed in one of my overnight scheduled log backups that it was huge 500MB for 800MB database. Usually my log backups are relatively small 30MB. I would like to view the contents of the file so that I can see what happened.

I can't seem to find a way to do this, can you tell me if there is a way to inspect the backup file to see what transactions occurred?

Thanks,

Tom
Post #1489263
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:22 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:05 AM
I'm not aware of a tool that lets you directly read a log backup file. I'm sure there's a way to do this (for example, Red Gate has a tool that lets you read a full backup file and use it to compare data & structure to a database), but I have never seen a tool that does it. The only way I can think of to even get a good guess would be to do a restore to a point in time using the log backups you have and see what has been happening on the system that way.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1489347
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:51 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:49 AM
http://www.apexsql.com/sql_tools_log.aspx

ApexSQL Log

Order now from $1,499

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Post #1489654
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:20 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 8:05 AM
Sean Pearce (8/29/2013)
http://www.apexsql.com/sql_tools_log.aspx

ApexSQL Log

Order now from $1,499

But that just reads the log. It doesn't read log backups.

Plus, you don't need a tool to read the log. There's an undocumented command, dbcc log().

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1489674
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:29 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:20 PM
There's an undocumented command that reads the log backup too, but I doubt it will help much. Unless someone is very, very familiar with the log internals, that'll just return hundred of MB of mostly incomprehensible data.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1489679
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:32 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:25 AM
tom 28327 (8/28/2013)
I noticed in one of my overnight scheduled log backups that it was huge 500MB for 800MB database. Usually my log backups are relatively small 30MB. I would like to view the contents of the file so that I can see what happened.

I can't seem to find a way to do this, can you tell me if there is a way to inspect the backup file to see what transactions occurred?

Thanks,

Tom

Was that about the same time that a Reindexing job or database backup ran, by any chance?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1490003
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse