Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««7891011»»»

Stunned Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:19 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:59 PM
Shawn Richards (8/28/2013)
To be honest I find this disgusting and have had first had accounts of this many times while working in a Tech Supply Company Support Department around the turn of the century. ...

Wait, what? Oh, the turn to the 21st century.

Never mind.

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #1489483
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:02 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 8:54 AM
tammy.cravit (8/28/2013)
But couldn't you equally write "introducing the wrong male into a team can have disastrous effects to the overall performance of the team"? I would argue - as presently the only female in a small, close-knit, and highly effective DBA team - that the risk comes from personality match and not from gender per se. And I would argue that introducing a new person of either gender into an existing team has the potential to destabilize the team.

When my company interviews a new prospective team member, we absolutely pay attention to whether that person is a good fit both with the dynamics of the team which s/he will be joining and with the values and culture of our company. But this is so whether the candidate is male or female, and whether the dominant gender in the team is male or female. (We have both kinds of teams here).

Tammy

I've always been the single DBA in a team. But the team is a support desk or the network admin team or the dev team.

So your point is very valid. Each team member has a strength or weakness. I quite frankly never want to talk to end-users. And management realizes and accommodates that. But a team member male or female that deforms, distorts, or destroys the team is worthless regardless of sex.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1489490
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:04 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:16 PM

A user group leader responded to an inquiry with: "We don't want female speakers. Our users only want to hear technical content."

First, what the <insert your own expression here>? Second, seriously? Third, WTF? I'm actually stunned that in 2013 we have someone that doesn't believe that female speakers can deliver technical content.

Wow - stunning but not necessarily surprising.

Maybe the group will change their tune and maybe the leader will change his tune.

On a different note, I'll let the offendee speak at my group. Send her my way and I will schedule her.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1489496
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:33 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
This type of comment is not surprising at all. Yes prejudice still exists and no it is not going to go away anytime soon. Thanks for shedding some light on the incident Steve. The only way to reduce this type of behavior is to deter those that exhibit it by not tolerating it, calling it out, and showing the offender a more enlightened way. I think if that person stumbles upon this thread and reads some of the comments they'll be a better person for it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1489515
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:11 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:33 AM
Grant Fritchey (8/28/2013)
Koen Verbeeck (8/28/2013)
JLMayes (8/28/2013)
TravisDBA (8/28/2013)
Agreed, but let's make sure ALL the facts are uncovered first before calling anyone out. Otherwise, it just turns the whole situation into a witch hunt.

You know who else were women?

Witches.

Off-topic: technically, men could also be witches. In Salem at least one men was convicted as a witch and put to death by putting a very big heavy stone on him (the correct term escapes my mind for the moment).

Giles Cory. He was pressed to death. They used a door and a series of stones....

I had a flatmate like that once.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1489559
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:18 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:05 PM
No JL, do you? A "witch hunt" does not refer to any specific gender in modern times. Maybe you need to look up the term in the dictionary.com before you just start calling people you don't even know sexists.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1489708
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:33 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:33 AM
TravisDBA (8/29/2013)
No JL, do you? A "witch hunt" does not refer to any specific gender in modern times. Maybe you need to look up the term in the dictionary.com before you just start calling people you don't even know sexists.

Dude...really? I doubt I could have made this any more obviously a joke if I'd painted a clown face on it.

Wasn't calling you a sexist.

But I will mock you for using dictionary.com.

Merriam-Webster ROOLZ!
Post #1489719
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:05 PM
JLMayes (8/29/2013)
TravisDBA (8/29/2013)

Dude...really? I doubt I could have made this any more obviously a joke if I'd painted a clown face on it.

Merriam-Webster ROOLZ!

Your actual original reply post to me was this:

"You know who else were women?

Witches.

Game, set, and match, Sexists. "

I was not under the understanding from that response that you were joking.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1489722
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:10 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:28 AM
Oh boy - flat earthers still exist.
Post #1489740
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:33 AM
TravisDBA (8/29/2013)
JLMayes (8/29/2013)
TravisDBA (8/29/2013)

Merriam-Webster ROOLZ!

Your actual original reply post to me was this:

"You know who else were women?

Witches.

Game, set, and match, Sexists. "

I was not under the understanding from that response that you were joking.

Dang...I shoulda used grease paint.

^
|
|
|
Also a joke
Post #1489743
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««7891011»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse