Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Stunned Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:13 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:43 AM
Revolting and unacceptable. But what has been done? What message will be sent out to this and other groups if nothing is done?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1489128
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:52 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:50 AM
Can't imagine who would still be in a position of authority with that attitude but I guess there are still and will probably always be prejudice as you said. I agree with all that you stated with one possible exception. I am torn on whether groups like "women" in technology are a good thing or not and here is why; if we continue identifying our differences instead of our sameness are we not adding to the stereo types that start prejudicial thinking in the first place? Should we not group ourselves based on interest or subject i.e SQL, .NET, etc., etc. and leave it at that. Should we not embrace everyone who has an interest in what we have an interest in and not even consider race, color, religious beliefs, gender, age etc.? Just asking. Heard a joke once about the first denomination of the church, two guys met on the road and started talking about themselves. Both discovered that the other had been cured of blindness by Jesus but found that one had been cured simply by faith and the other by mud on the eyes and washing in a pool. They went away mad and determined that their way was the only way and so a split. Rather than focusing on the important point that they were both cured and by the same person. Just a thought.
Post #1489148
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:56 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:34 PM
Unfortunately, I've encountered similar situations where some folks don't believe a woman could be technically savvy. Usually once I help them through a technical problem, they realize that, wow, hey, she does know what she is doing.
Steve - I hope the person of whom you speak subscribes to SSC. Perhaps reading the comments from the members will at least give him pause, if not change his mind (though I doubt it).

*edited to add comment to Steve
Post #1489152
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:02 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:58 AM
There are, unfortunately, unenlightened people everywhere. In the person's defense, they might have had a bad experience before? (poor excuse though!).

Never quite understood this kind of attitude. At my current job, we have I think 10 DBAs among the various groups, and I am 1 of 2 male DBAs. My previous job, 2 out of 6 where female. Some people need to crawl out from under the rocks.

(and this is not to even mention the very many excellent female speakers at conferences and classes!)
Post #1489154
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, February 10, 2014 8:12 AM
I have been in the technology field for many years now. As a young woman I saw much of the prejudice towards women that unfortunately still exists today. Today I still find that when dealing with a male coworker it is usually necessary to "prove" my skills before being awarded any confidence or respect, however there are more men today that are accepting of female counter parts. Men typically are more competitive and agressive in nature than are women, and this can be an obstacle to working together with mutual respect, but why is it when a woman attempts to play on the same field she is labeled a "B@#ch"?

I do believe that the tides are turning, and more women being in the field, and in higher positions is making this happen. "Lean In" girlfriends!
Post #1489159
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 5:49 AM
Allowing the perpetrator to hide behind "not releasing many details here" lets him (presumably) to continue.

Name names, dates, places. Allowing this cretin to continue on, unidentified, in the community allows him to keep peeing in the pool.

Demand accountability.
Post #1489162
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:35 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 7:49 AM
I'm floored by this one too.

And while I absolutely agree with the sentiment that the idiot, uh, I mean, the alleged offender, should be publicly called out, the situation does come down to a private conversation. So it's way too easily dodged by the miscreant just saying, "I was misunderstood. I never said that. This person is lying because of a personal vendetta." Then things get truly ugly.

While I consider someone like that lower than whale feces, I don't think anyone will be served well by calling them out. I just wish there was an email or some evidence to back up the event. THEN...

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1489168
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:42 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:22 AM
Steve,

I am incredibly disappointed in you. This article is disgusting. You are advocating that groups form that will cause fractures in the community to do the job that YOU should have done. When you heard that statement YOU could have done something. We don't need a group of women to get together and be an obvious target of distrust for the kind of people that would make that statement.

Everyone needs to stand up when they hear prejudice. People need to be held accountable. You had better in some way held this person accountable. (Not advocating releasing information on here without proof that would be begging for a fight no one wants to see)

Sometimes you need to be a MAN and not hid behind your computer like a child passive aggressively complaining about poor behavior. DO SOMETHING YOURSELF if you don't like it.

(and this is coming from a person who has a huge prejudice against a group of people that are a major part of the data industry, I just know I have it and make more of an effort to keep an open mind around this group.)
Post #1489173
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:50 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 AM
craig.schlieve (8/28/2013)
Steve,

I am incredibly disappointed in you. This article is disgusting. You are advocating that groups form that will cause fractures in the community to do the job that YOU should have done. When you heard that statement YOU could have done something. We don't need a group of women to get together and be an obvious target of distrust for the kind of people that would make that statement.

Everyone needs to stand up when they hear prejudice. People need to be held accountable. You had better in some way held this person accountable. (Not advocating releasing information on here without proof that would be begging for a fight no one wants to see)

Sometimes you need to be a MAN and not hid behind your computer like a child passive aggressively complaining about poor behavior. DO SOMETHING YOURSELF if you don't like it.

(and this is coming from a person who has a huge prejudice against a group of people that are a major part of the data industry, I just know I have it and make more of an effort to keep an open mind around this group.)

As far as I know, Steve was not in the position to intervene or do something. He just heard the story from the woman involved.
I think he already did enough by writing this article; by letting the general public know that there are still assheads out there.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1489179
Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:56 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:22 AM
Ahh then I see my morning caffeine kick hadn't kicked in and I misread. I apologize in that case. My statement that this needs to be an individual effort still stands and everyone that hears these kind of statements should immediately put it in their place. Efforts like Steve's to say that there is still a problem won't do much to fix the problem. It needs to be addressed right away.
Post #1489183
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse