Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

paging file is too small for this operation to complete Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:58 AM
Hi There,

I have been getting memory pressure errors on the server and below error is from the event log.

SQLVDI: Loc=ServerBufferAreaManager::RequestBuffers. Desc=Create buffers. ErrorCode=(1455)The paging file is too small for this operation to complete.
. Process=4356. Thread=7544. Server. Instance=INSTANCE01. VD=Global\VDI_59876801B68-8D0E-4CD2-935D-9A6108DDB324_0_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

SQL error log is already recycled so can’t retrieve the exact error. I have been monitoring the server memory and its peaking constantly 124GB whereas total memory is 127GB

SQL is running on cluster server with Active/Passive so not sure what is causing this.

When I failover memory is released and it gets maximum to 70GB.

Could you please advise how to go about it?
Post #1487760
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 5:52 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 PM
Reduce max server memory or add more memory to the server.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1487769
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 7:04 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:58 AM
Thanks Gail.

But decreasing max memory will have any impact on application users?

Increasing memory will resolve the issue? Am I right in saying that 10-12 % of total memory is enough for OS and rest can be assigned to SQL server?
Post #1487809
Posted Friday, August 23, 2013 7:10 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 PM
Chapter 4: https://www.simple-talk.com/books/sql-books/troubleshooting-sql-server-a-guide-for-the-accidental-dba/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1487814
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse