Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Script to montior ErrorLog every 1 hour Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:56 PM
But I don't think this is correct way creating tables and dropping tables and selecting data twice

It's fine the way it is except for the drops at the end. No need for those.

The only data you're selecting more than once is the data that's actually being returned and that will be quite small compared to what's in the log.

I suppose you could use OPENROWSET to execute the xp directly for such a thing but that's probably a level of sophistication that won't be worth it here.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1485542
Posted Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:36 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:47 PM
It is possible xp_readerrorlog could either be resource intensive if you have big log files or cause headaches once in a while.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-us/59e28e62-5190-420b-bc65-0e07deb3050b/xpreaderrorlog-causes-a-stack-dump
http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/423040/low-memory-causes-xp-readerrorlog-to-fail-and-create-a-stack-dump

If you are trying to be proactive, you may want to look for other options like a monitoring software that will notify of general failures and even error log failures. I don't know if these use xp_readerrorlog though.

If there are xp_readerrorlog stack dumps, you may get notifications of these errors in the email that your own xp_readerrorlog caused.
Also, it is common for some (discontinued, mispointed) applications logins to cause thousands of login failures, etc. You might need a different email account if you are positive of this method.
Post #1485560
Posted Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:03 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, July 26, 2014 8:10 PM
I would also go ahead and use the 2 tables, but make them both temp tables. ie, #ErrorLog & #ErrorLog2

Post #1485578
Posted Sunday, August 18, 2013 12:32 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:56 PM
I think you only need one temp table, though.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1485612
Posted Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:49 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, April 28, 2014 7:14 AM
You might be interested in this article I wrote a while back about automatic checking of backup and error log entries via PowerShell: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/powershell/76561/
Post #1485618
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 1:22 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
NJ-DBA (8/18/2013)
You might be interested in this article I wrote a while back about automatic checking of backup and error log entries via PowerShell: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/powershell/76561/

Nice use of PowerShell.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1485674
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse