Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Standard Limitation Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:51 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:15 AM
Dick Cooman (8/7/2013)
I support a 2TB database that is the backend for a key application in our business. As it is vendor designed, I have little say in the structure. The application pumps in about 3 million data values every hour, 24 hours a day. I'd love to use all 96 GB I have on the server, but I am living with the 64 GB limit in SQL Standard simply because of cost. The SQL Standard license was $3,500, the Enterprise license was $70,000! And we are a "Microsoft Partner" so we get "special pricing". For some reason, I don't feel very special.

"special" is defined in how you pronounce it

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1482018
Posted Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:47 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:31 PM
...and pay more as we needed to add hardware.

Why not bring a feature of the mobile world into server software with "In App Purchases"!

Then, Microsoft could sell just one Edition of SQL Server and when you install it, you have the option to buy or rent additional features, whether that feature is for more RAM, CPU, or software feature of the product.

Post #1482090
Posted Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:50 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 6:14 PM
Perhaps the standard / enterprise licensing model is more about ease of enforcement than anything else. A lot easier to tie size limits to a particular edition than to individual site requirements?
Post #1482100
Posted Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:05 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:28 AM
Tony Parfitt-465405 (8/7/2013)
Perhaps the standard / enterprise licensing model is more about ease of enforcement than anything else. A lot easier to tie size limits to a particular edition than to individual site requirements?

I think that has a lot to do with it.

It might be a real problem if a database automatically stopped working if it hit a size limit as well.... Could open MS up for liability claims.
Post #1482220
Posted Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:22 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:42 AM

yeah, or charged you more for the car depending on how many miles you anticipated driving in the next 3 years

That's outsourced to the VAR in the form of servicing costs....which are of course random and seem to bear no resemblance to the quality or quantity of work!

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1482451
Posted Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 6:36 AM
David.Poole (8/8/2013)
That's outsourced to the VAR in the form of servicing costs....which are of course random and seem to bear no resemblance to the quality or quantity of work!

Nothing in society bears any resemblance to the quality of work any more.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1482521
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse