Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Problem with agent service accounts? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:54 PM
Jacob Wilkins (8/8/2013)
Two questions:

1) Does the SQL Server error log show a login failure for that login when you try to start the Agent?

2) The "Access Denied" error you received looks more like a file system permissions issue. Have you checked file systems permissions?

Cheers!

SQL error log shows nothing.

I have tried setting that local user full rights to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\SQLServerAgent - did nothing

I have tried setting D:\SQLData\data\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log full rights to that local user - did nothing

For what its worth I have tried this on a second Server 2012 machine and it behaves the same. Is anyone here actually running this combo successfully ? Windows Server 2012 + SQL 2012 ? Something must have changed but I cant figure out what.
Post #1482924
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 2:18 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:18 AM
I have some Windows server 2012 + SQL Server 2012 combinations both in the lab and in production, and they work without issues (well, without this issue ).

I actually just created a new local user on the lab machine, left it as a member only of the Users group, stopped the Agent, changed the Agent to use the new user, and started the Agent with no issues.

Just to make sure I'm clear on your situation:

1) You are currently only receiving the generic "Service failed to start in a timely fashion" error?

2) Does this occur no matter what account you specify for the Agent?

In the meantime I'll see if I can recreate your issue, but I've had no success so far.

Cheers!
Post #1482930
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 3:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Jacob Wilkins (8/9/2013)
I have some Windows server 2012 + SQL Server 2012 combinations both in the lab and in production, and they work without issues (well, without this issue ).

I actually just created a new local user on the lab machine, left it as a member only of the Users group, stopped the Agent, changed the Agent to use the new user, and started the Agent with no issues.

Just to make sure I'm clear on your situation:

1) You are currently only receiving the generic "Service failed to start in a timely fashion" error?

2) Does this occur no matter what account you specify for the Agent?

In the meantime I'll see if I can recreate your issue, but I've had no success so far.

Cheers!

1) Yes that is correct

2) Just created a user called testagent. Same issue . Service failed to start in a timely fashion.

I agree with you and Ive done this on many times on other servers. I don't know why its not working here. Argg.. But this is the first environment i work with thats 2012.
Post #1482952
Posted Monday, August 12, 2013 5:06 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 2:46 AM
Using a domain user account for SQL Agent works fine in SQL 2012 (and SQL 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2014), you just have to give it the correct rights.

It needs:
Act as part of the operating system
Adjust memory quotas for a process
Bypass traverse checking
Log on as a batch job
Log on as a service
Replace a process level token

It does not need to be a member of the windows Administrator group unless you enable the 'Automatically start SQL Server / SQL Agent if it fails'.

The Agent account will also need to be a Sysadmin account in SQL Server.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1483222
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 2:44 PM
Forum Newbie

EdVassie (8/12/2013)
Using a domain user account for SQL Agent works fine in SQL 2012 (and SQL 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2014), you just have to give it the correct rights.

It needs:
Act as part of the operating system
Adjust memory quotas for a process
Bypass traverse checking
Log on as a batch job
Log on as a service
Replace a process level token

It does not need to be a member of the windows Administrator group unless you enable the 'Automatically start SQL Server / SQL Agent if it fails'.

The Agent account will also need to be a Sysadmin account in SQL Server.

Thanks but I am not using a domain account. Using a local user.
Post #1486009
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse