Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Page file best practices and memory upgrade. Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:48 PM
Hi, we are planning to upgrade the ram in our SQL 2008 R2 cluster running on Windows 2008 R2. Both SQL and Windows are Ent edition. currently the two nodes have 32GB of memory each, we already purchased 2 x 32GB memory upgrades for these servers. Now normally i just hard configure the Windows pagefile to the Windows recommend size but in this case when we upgrade the memory in the server to 64GB the C: probably wont have much free space left to set the Page file to 96GB.

If i set the page file to say 72GB the system meory plus 8GB will this be enough for successful crash dumps?

Recommendations?
Post #1481174
Posted Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:09 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 11:47 AM
You don't need that much page file. SQL shouldn't be using the page file at all and all that's needed with crash dumps, except in rare circumstances are kernel or mini dumps

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1481210
Posted Tuesday, August 06, 2013 5:41 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Sunday, December 08, 2013 10:48 PM
Great thanks, in that case i might just leave the page file at the current 48GB file size.
Post #1481619
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse