Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Using a specific date table in SSAS 2012 Tabular Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:55 AM
Hi,

I have created a few fairly basic OLAP cubes using SSAS 2005 in the past. Basically I created a single view that contained all the data that I was interested in used and this as the data view, I then created the calculated columns, dimensions, hierarchies and measures.

I want to start using SSAS 2012 tabular but as I would like to build something a bit more complicated I am working through the microsoft tutorials on the MSDN website. My question is do I need to have a dedicated date table? Obviously I have date fields in my tables order date, created date etc but I do not have a specific date table.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Phil
Post #1479373
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:57 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:47 AM
Hi Phil

It would depend on the type of analysis you wish to perform. If you are going to be doing plenty of Date based analysis e.g. year to date , month to date and period comparrisons then I would create a specific Date table.

To take advantage of the DAX functions that operate with dates you'll need to define the table as a date table in the tabular model. This can be done from the table menu (Table/Date/ Mark as Date Table).

Cheers
-Matt
Post #1479453
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse