Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Less QA? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:30 PM
PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Has anyone noticed how vendor databases in general are getting worse and worse? It seems we're getting to an age where regardless of quality, it's just get the product out the door as quickly as possible.

The company I work for just purchased a product which landed with me to install the database, and what I find is a database with very few tables actually having primary keys, no indexes and after a big data load they wonder why the performance is shot to hell.....

I am in the same boat with several of my clients.

They have vendor databases that are really pathetic in design and performance - and the vendor won't provide any real support other than to tell them to get better hardware.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1479615
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:20 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
I totally agree with what you said, Miles. When something goes wrong with software I've worked on, I always assume it's my fault and look at what's happening with it. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but I always own it, when I've made the mistake. I have worked with some developers who never accept responsibility for what they've done, and instead blame others. No fun.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1479665
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:01 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 3:20 PM
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Has anyone noticed how vendor databases in general are getting worse and worse? It seems we're getting to an age where regardless of quality, it's just get the product out the door as quickly as possible.

The company I work for just purchased a product which landed with me to install the database, and what I find is a database with very few tables actually having primary keys, no indexes and after a big data load they wonder why the performance is shot to hell.....

They have vendor databases that are really pathetic in design and performance - and the vendor won't provide any real support other than to tell them to get better hardware.

You are not talking about SharePoint per chance, are you?
Post #1479677
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:30 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 4:30 PM
Revenant (7/31/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)

Heh - no

But if we want to open that can of worms we could through MS CRM or Dynamics

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1479695
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:14 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
Revenant (7/31/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)

Heh - no

But if we want to open that can of worms we could through MS CRM or Dynamics

Please don't -- too easy a target.
Post #1479752
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:17 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:33 AM
Revenant (7/31/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)

Haha no, but it is a financial piece of software. Best left unnamed.

I just fail to see how databases without the base core of primary keys, foreign key constraints, indexes, etc can be overlooked in any database before shipping it out to a customer.
Post #1479753
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:32 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Revenant (7/31/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)

I just fail to see how databases without the base core of primary keys, foreign key constraints, indexes, etc can be overlooked in any database before shipping it out to a customer.

Have you ever looked into ReportServer database? Now that is a duly constituted part of SQL Server.
Post #1479756
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:34 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Revenant (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Revenant (7/31/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)

Have you ever looked into ReportServer database? Now that is a duly constituted part of SQL Server.

A bit different though IMO as it isn't a true OLTP database.
Post #1479757
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:44 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Revenant (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Revenant (7/31/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)

Well yes, it is not OLTP, but IMO it ought to be an example of a good design. I was trying to make the point that it is not, unfortunately.
Post #1479762
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:49 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Revenant (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Revenant (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)
Revenant (7/31/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/31/2013)
PhilipC (7/31/2013)

Well yes, it is not OLTP, but IMO it ought to be an example of a good design. I was trying to make the point that it is not, unfortunately.

Yeah that's a fair enough point. Most of time, it seems to be rapid development over quality development that wins out. As a DBA, it just becomes a nightmare trying to support these kind of databases and maintain some kind of performance level when the vendors show very little interest in improving things.
Post #1479763
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse