Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Global Variable Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:04 AM
If you have a couple of these suckers, and they are decently complex, the temp table is not a bad idea.

On this, I think we shall have to agree to disagree.

From BOL:

Global temporary tables are automatically dropped when the session that created the table ends and all other tasks have stopped referencing them. The association between a task and a table is maintained only for the life of a single Transact-SQL statement. This means that a global temporary table is dropped at the completion of the last Transact-SQL statement that was actively referencing the table when the creating session ended.

If this stuff is worth storing in a table and is going to be referenced by multiple scripts or procs, it should be held in a permanent table, not one which may disappear unexpectedly.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1479322
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:57 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:39 PM
Phil Parkin (7/31/2013)
[quote]If this stuff is worth storing in a table and is going to be referenced by multiple scripts or procs, it should be held in a permanent table, not one which may disappear unexpectedly.

My assumption was that we were talking about a single script, consisting of multiple batches. In which case a local temp table would do.

If we are talking about a multitude of scripts, global variables would not work, even if they existed(*). In that case, maybe the best option would be user-defined functions.

(*) Those who have worked with SQL Server for a long time, know that once there was something called "global variables", and indeed they had leading @@. But they were all pre-defined and readonly, that is @@spid, @procid and the like. Today they are referred to as functions, but you can still use them in context where normal built-in functions cannot be used.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
Post #1479326
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:16 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:04 AM
My assumption was that we were talking about a single script, consisting of multiple batches. In which case a local temp table would do

I see! I agree with your comments in that case

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1479337
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:26 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:23 AM

(*) Those who have worked with SQL Server for a long time, know that once there was something called "global variables", and indeed they had leading @@. But they were all pre-defined and readonly, that is @@spid, @procid and the like. Today they are referred to as functions, but you can still use them in context where normal built-in functions cannot be used.

Do you mean Sybase? I have worked with SQL server since their rebranded version of Sybase. Some people might called them as they used to in Sybase, but I cannot remember that these ones were ever refered to as "global variables" in MS SQL specs. Well, I could be very wrong, as it was really long-long ago, when I couldn't read in English .

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Post #1479361
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:46 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:39 PM
Eugene Elutin (7/31/2013)

Do you mean Sybase? I have worked with SQL server since their rebranded version of Sybase. Some people might called them as they used to in Sybase, but I cannot remember that these ones were ever refered to as "global variables" in MS SQL specs.

Here is a screenshot from Books Online for SQL 6.5 to prove it.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se

Post Attachments 
BOL65.jpg (6 views, 86.88 KB)
Post #1479649
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:24 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:23 AM
Erland Sommarskog (7/31/2013)
Eugene Elutin (7/31/2013)

Do you mean Sybase? I have worked with SQL server since their rebranded version of Sybase. Some people might called them as they used to in Sybase, but I cannot remember that these ones were ever refered to as "global variables" in MS SQL specs.

Here is a screenshot from Books Online for SQL 6.5 to prove it.

No need in proofs. I believe you! MS took Sybase docs and just searched-and-replaced "Sybase" with "SQL Server", why wouldn't they - it did saved them money and time...

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Post #1479842
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse