Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Flying high on the Big Data hot-air Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 1:04 PM
Looking forward to the Stairway series. As an "accidental" DBA who loves this field I am always looking to learn more.
Post #1478985
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:00 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Interesting article. I've got one question, which I ask out of my ignorance, what is R?

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1479013
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:00 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 11:41 AM
I am not a huge fan of random big data projects for useless over caffeinated marketing ideals.

I do like projects like a certain Health Industry project started in 2006 that has become invaluable and very relevant with our current reforms.
http://www.advisory.com/Technology/Crimson

I would dare to think that other industries, consumers, and regulators could find a use for similar collections of data and it's analysis.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right since most things done wrong are worthless.
Post #1479014
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:25 AM

Old Hand

Phil Factor (7/30/2013)
@wim.bekkens

Thanks for that.
For a simple example, take a look at this series that is now coming out on Simple-talk. It walks you through an example application that involves using R to report KPIs in a SQL Server database.
Creating a Business Intelligence Dashboard with R and ASP.NET MVC: Part 1
Creating a Business Intelligence Dashboard with R and ASP.NET MVC: Part 2

Phill,
R was cool but unless you are working at the NIS isn't it dated?

When compared to some of the newer and highly maintained Graphical Stat Display tools such as the free Sigma Plot MySystat http://www.systat.com/MystatProducts.aspx R feels like an amber screen from the 80's.

Don’t get me wrong. It was awesome and I used it.
Now there are IMHO better tools that require less heavy lifting.

If anyone is interested in a free large scale Database solution used by Netflix, Twitter, eBay, reddit, Cisco, etc... http://cassandra.apache.org/
Post #1479036
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:07 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:19 AM
@Rod At Work

The R programming language is a GNU open-source project designed for statistical analysis of data. It supports a huge number of extensions in user-created packages that give it a bewildering versatility.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_programming_language
Although I can sympathise with PHYData DBA I reckon that it is important to take R seriously, whatever else you use as well. Not only is it valuable purely for analysis of variance and factor analysis but it is widely used in universities for the teaching of parametric statistics. There are a huge number of resources, Books, samples and videos around. It isn't going away!

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #1479057
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:44 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:18 PM
Hi Phil,

I look forward to the replay of this editorial in 5 years and the reaction others have to it then.

As to the comment now, you say that "For years, we in the database industry have struggled..."
and this may well continue as long as we try to limit data strictly to a database. Data has and will continue to be both the combination of databases and other data. As you state, we have known that for a considerable amount of time.

Also you indirectly state that we have had everything we need to deal with Big Data for some time. Note that with R and SQL Server we lack only two things. If we can get it all using R and SQL Server we must be able to use then to search all data generated by all users on all platforms, all email, memos, white papers, websites, and generated reports. And we have had that capability for some time?

I know that there is hype, and I agree that we should point and advise, and we really need to get on board and get all we can out of this current wave. There we have complete agreement. But we also need to look very closely with what we have and determine if the tools we used yesterday are able to manage horizontally scaled data correctly and with a large enough sample to do basic analysis as well as meet the demands of investigations where every element of certain criteria is require to be presented. If the tools of yesterday cannot do it and those being developed today will also fall short, it might be good to get involved as you have in trying to scope and define the tools of the future.

Thanks for getting this on the table, good to see and hear.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1479081
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:46 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:49 AM
PHYData DBA (7/30/2013)
Phil Factor (7/30/2013)
@wim.bekkens

Thanks for that.
For a simple example, take a look at this series that is now coming out on Simple-talk. It walks you through an example application that involves using R to report KPIs in a SQL Server database.

Phill,

When compared to some of the newer and highly maintained Graphical Stat Display tools such as the free Sigma Plot MySystat http://www.systat.com/MystatProducts.aspx R feels like an amber screen from the 80's.

If anyone is interested in a free large scale Database solution used by Netflix, Twitter, eBay, reddit, Cisco, etc... http://cassandra.apache.org/

<sermon>
For the Point and Click crowd, I suppose SAS/SPSS/MiniTab/Excel and the like feel "modern". In terms of implementing (cutting-edge) stats, R has no peer. And, it's taking market share from all of the closed-source alternatives. As I mentioned earlier, Oracle has followed in the footsteps of Postgres with its integration strategy. RStudio does a good job of integrating the necessary bits of R. No Point&Click as yet, however. And not likely, either. The momentum in R is toward R as programming language, rather than R as stat command language. Julia is the current front runner. As such, integrating into the sql/database engine, rather than variations on ODBC from RStudio/etc. is the way forward.
</sermon>
Post #1479083
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:07 AM

Old Hand

RobertYoung (7/30/2013)
PHYData DBA (7/30/2013)
Phil Factor (7/30/2013)
@wim.bekkens

Thanks for that.

Phill,

<sermon>
For the Point and Click crowd, I suppose SAS/SPSS/MiniTab/Excel and the like feel "modern". In terms of implementing (cutting-edge) stats, R has no peer. And, it's taking market share from all of the closed-source alternatives. As I mentioned earlier, Oracle has followed in the footsteps of Postgres with its integration strategy. RStudio does a good job of integrating the necessary bits of R. No Point&Click as yet, however. And not likely, either. The momentum in R is toward R as programming language, rather than R as stat command language. Julia is the current front runner. As such, integrating into the sql/database engine, rather than variations on ODBC from RStudio/etc. is the way forward.
</sermon>

I agree with a lot of what you say...
edit -- I have to admit that R has come a long way. I have done some reading about its latest advances as it's own programming language. Currently the creator of S, John Chambers, is working on the R team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(programming_language)

I like SciLab for a GNU compatible library. It is based of off Matlab syntax so code reuse or porting from MatLab makes things easier. It is also very current and highly maintained.

Julia does have great promise. The fact that it is a true AST makes it even better. Hopefully it becomes embraced and adopted soon as well as S, R, Matlab, C, and Fortran. http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/25672/does-julia-have-any-hope-of-sticking-in-the-statistical-community
Post #1479091
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:22 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Thank you, @Phil Factor, for the explanation of the R Language.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1479101
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:48 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 3:05 PM
In terms of implementing (cutting-edge) stats, R has no peer.

The Python combo of pandas and numpy begs to disagree...
Post #1479168
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse