Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

TSQL- XQuery Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:49 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item TSQL- XQuery

Pramod
SQL Server DBA | MCSA SQL Server 2012

in.linkedin.com/in/pramodsingla/
http://pramodsingla.wordpress.com/
Post #1478321
Posted Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:44 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:26 AM
Tsk tsk, first question of the week, and it's about XQuery (ugh). And even a trick question (double ugh).

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1478397
Posted Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:20 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 3:32 PM
Koen Verbeeck (7/28/2013)
Tsk tsk, first question of the week, and it's about XQuery (ugh). And even a trick question (double ugh).

I second those "ugh"'s

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1478410
Posted Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:05 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, June 30, 2014 10:51 PM
Nice one....+1
Post #1478441
Posted Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:06 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:36 PM
SQLRNNR (7/28/2013)

I second those "ugh"'s

Yes lot of "ughs"....

Post #1478442
Posted Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:28 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:15 AM
Anipaul (7/28/2013)
SQLRNNR (7/28/2013)

I second those "ugh"'s

Yes lot of "ughs"....

+1

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com

Post #1478443
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 12:19 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:42 AM
xQuery is tricky enough; throwing the case sensitivity issue into the mix just adds more to it.

Post #1478448
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 2:10 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 8:40 AM

It's not really about XQuery though, it's a trick question which doesn't test anything other than how well you can read things on a Monday morning
Post #1478468
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 2:32 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:59 AM
I like the question. I don't think it's a trick question - many people here are so used to using case insensitive collations (stupid defaults!!!) that they can and will be caught by this XML feature. Probably numerous times. I know I have, it's probably the main reason I got it right.
And the second good thing about the question is that it also makes you think about what would have been returned if the case had been correct. I know I was not really sure of that (I'm far from an XML expert!), so I was happy that the lower-/uppercase thing gave me a guaranteed point, and the rest of the question gave me the opportunity to play with the code and see what happens if I change the case - so this has also taught me something about the XQuery data function. (And if I just happen to stumble on it again within a week or so, it might even stick this time).

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1478475
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 3:34 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:34 AM
Hugo Kornelis (7/29/2013)
I like the question. I don't think it's a trick question - many people here are so used to using case insensitive collations (stupid defaults!!!) that they can and will be caught by this XML feature. Probably numerous times. I know I have, it's probably the main reason I got it right.
And the second good thing about the question is that it also makes you think about what would have been returned if the case had been correct. I know I was not really sure of that (I'm far from an XML expert!), so I was happy that the lower-/uppercase thing gave me a guaranteed point, and the rest of the question gave me the opportunity to play with the code and see what happens if I change the case - so this has also taught me something about the XQuery data function. (And if I just happen to stumble on it again within a week or so, it might even stick this time).

+1

Post #1478501
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse