Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Who administers the SQL Backups in your company Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:56 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/21/2013)
Nadrek (8/13/2013)
We also share responsibility:
DBA's handle Database<->Disk and disk retention/aging, automated and ad-hoc and PITR.

Backup team handle Disk<->Backup software (disk and tape), automated and ad-hoc, and tape retention/aging.

DBA's get requests, and if the backups files are no longer on disk, DBA's send the Backup team a request to get the files from the backup software.

If a non-DBA group wants to handle backups and restores, and talk to them about what happens if someone kicks off a restore they shouldn't have and causes data loss/production impact. Be mindful DBA's can cause these same problems, too. Also, have them test ad-hoc Point in Time Recovery to a different database name (i.e. "I deleted X by accident, can you get it back")

This is how I've usually done this. DBAs manage the db and get files to disk. The backup team takes it from there.

+1 to this. But as Grant has said, I don't really care who handles the backups as long as they are done in such a way that I can meet SLA's and Recovery objectives. At my current job I'm a Dev DBA so I don't do anything with backups, the Ops DBA is responsible for that, I think

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1487267
Posted Friday, September 20, 2013 9:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:41 AM
Like a good few other posters, the database team handle the backups here.

Once on disk, infrastructure take over and make their necessary backups and also perform copies from the data center to our office so they can be restored on demand by users (client services, dev, qa etc).

The DBA's are also responsible for the restore scripts to the internal servers. However, that being said, stopping/starting of application servers, restore of the databases is actually done via an IRC chat bot. The sysadmin here loves that process...Personally, I don't like it, but hey, it's all automated and under user control, so I very rarely restore to internals unless I am doing restore testing whereby this is done using SQL Scripts only (bot only supports a full restore).
Post #1496932
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:24 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:12 PM
We have outsourced SQL Server maintenance to IBM. They look after our servers and all backup, performance related activities. We have internal team for application support who backs up individual databases as requested by the database owner.
Post #1515863
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse