Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Need to remove reference to a data file -- database will not start Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:57 PM
I had added a secondary data file to a database. We migrated environments, and the physical drive that I unknowingly created the secondary file on was destroyed w/o backup. I can rebuild the data contained therein (i had only created this 3 weeks ago), but I cannot get the database to start due to the missing file. All other databases in the named instance start up fine.

How can I remove the references to this data file so that the database will start up using only the primary data and log files? I've searched everywhere for a disk or registry resident startup config that I can edit. Please help - this is a huge mess!

Thanks,
Dave
Post #1478265
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:22 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:23 AM
do you have a backup of the database? If so restore it using the with move option for the secondary file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1478303
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:57 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:57 PM
Thanks, George.

I will give that a try.
Post #1478324
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse