Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

plural form of search string with CONTAINS in full text search Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:45 AM
I'm using CONTAINS to search for a string or word. If I search for Hobby is it possible to make it search for Hobbies also, which is the plural of Hobby? FREETEXT seems to be doing this but I want to do it with CONTAINS because it will make me search with an AND clause. FREETEXT using OR clause which I don't need.

For example if I do below search for 'John AND Hobby', I would like to get strings that have both John and Hobby / Hobbies

WHERE contains (*, 'John AND Hobby' )
Post #1478214
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 3:20 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:24 AM
sql server developer (7/26/2013)
I'm using CONTAINS to search for a string or word. If I search for Hobby is it possible to make it search for Hobbies also, which is the plural of Hobby? FREETEXT seems to be doing this but I want to do it with CONTAINS because it will make me search with an AND clause. FREETEXT using OR clause which I don't need.

For example if I do below search for 'John AND Hobby', I would like to get strings that have both John and Hobby / Hobbies

WHERE contains (*, 'John AND Hobby' )

You need to use CONTAINSTABLE to do proximity searching. Once the query is set up correctly with CONTAINSTABLE it will return the results with a column showing the ranking of the search results. There are many options for setting the various proximity variables.

CONTAINSTABLE

Post #1478218
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse