Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

What is the set up to study 70-432? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 9:21 PM
Hi all,

based on http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam.aspx?ID=70-432

and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=sql.100).aspx#SSETools_x64

as the exam involves HA topics,

what is the minimum setup required to get hands on topics relating to mirroring, log shipping, replication and clustering.

believe that mirroring, and log shipping, replication are on db level, so in that case we can use 2 VM for this

but for clustering it is on server level, so we need to use another 2VM.

how should we set up the VM? how much disk space is required?

what should be the virtualization technology that we should use?

we need

Hard Disk Space Requirements (32-Bit and 64-Bit)

would require a max of 240 MB

but how about the overall disk requirements? how should we partitioned the virtual disk?

am I right to say I need to purchase 4* OS licenses for the VM?

Please share your thoughts on the most affordable way to learn SQL server certification.

thanks a lot!
Post #1478016
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 10:08 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 12:17 PM
As long as you stay stingy on the disk space granted to a VM, you could probably get away with doing this with a virtualization server with a single 2TB disk in it.

Thin-provision the disks, don't install anything you don't need, and it ought to fit. If your VMs would be what I think (1 domain controller, 2 SQL Servers, 1 file server) then 4 VMs is about right.

Jason
Post #1478087
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 10:22 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

what should be the virtualization technology use? VMWare? Must I use microsoft virtualization software?

also I need to purchase 4 OS licenses for learning this technology? Should I buy client or server OS for the guess OS?

then what should be the disk requirements for the components that you mentioned?

thanks a lot!
Post #1478099
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 10:26 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 12:17 PM
Virtualization tech: Whatever you're comfortable with

OSes: Licenses for the virtualization depends on what you go with, both MS and VMWare have free options. Guest OSes again will depend on you. If you think you can get through the training in under 180-days, MS offers trial versions of Windows Server and SQL Server.

Disk space: Depends on what you choose to install when you install, I couldn't give you exact numbers.

Jason
Post #1478102
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 11:35 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 8:49 PM
FWIW - I have a Virtual Lab setup on my laptop.

1 DC
2 SAN VMs (freesan, 1 demo and 1 live)
1 Cluster (2 boxes)
2 stand alone sql servers (1 sql 2012 1 sql 2008 r2)
1 windows base image
1 old laptop image
and to top it all off
1 OS X VM

Currently I used VirtualBox for the virtualization

I have 16GB ram (not all VMs run at once. For the cluster I would have 4 VMs running at once)
1 256GB SSD
1 700GB spinning disk

You can read my series on it here
http://jasonbrimhall.info/2012/12/24/on-the-twelfth-day/

I still have one last article to finish for that series

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1478124
Posted Monday, August 5, 2013 8:04 PM
SSC Rookie

Hi from

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=sql.100).aspx

SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools(64-bit) x64
RAM:
Minimum:512 MB
Recommended: 1 GB
Maximum: 1 GB for the

would allocating 1GB for each machine enough?

thanks
Post #1481134
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:25 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 2:06 PM
No. SQL requires 1 GB, windows wants 1GB and running anything may take more. I personally use 4 GB of ram. it will run off 2GB but you will notice some latency for the licensing, you can do as previously mentioned and use the 180 trials. I use VMWare only because of an academic alliance through college. If not, I'd personally use Virtualbox because it's free and works well.

Post #1481363
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:30 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

As a side note, the 70-432 Is being replaced by the 70-461 through 70-465. I would figure the specs would remain the same.

Post #1481364
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:01 PM
SSC Rookie

if that being the case,

for clustering, if one VM required 4G and since in previous post by jasona.work that I need to set up 4VM,

wouldn't that mean 4*4G, i.e. 16G of RAM since I need to allocate some RAM for my host? I don't think I have seen any laptop specs that provide more than 16G of RAM.

Is there any compromise for domain controller and filesystem?

thanks a lot!
Post #1481628
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:04 AM

SSChasing Mays

a DC can run off of 512MB... though 1GB loads faster. if it's not a production use File system, i'd go with 1GB or so. you can run SQL off 2, but it will run slow. I have 16 GB on my laptop and run it with 1GB on DC and 4 GB on the SQL boxes.

Post #1481832
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse