Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Point a newbie in the right direction Please! Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:21 PM
I work for a Non-Profit, I would like to create a web based form that is hosted locally only for in house use. This form would be used to collect Incidents that the staff has. I would like those submissions to insert into a database that I can then use Report builder to pull the information from.

We are currently using InfoPath and dumping into a Access Db, but honestly it sucks and is not very practical.

We just finished launching Moodle, for e-learning and it works well. Looking for something free or open source to solve this issue.

Thanks for any help !

Thomas

***SQL born on date Spring 2013
Post #1475792
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 2:25 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:05 PM
This is a SQL Server forum so you might need to look elsewhere for freebie db recommendations. MySQL perhaps?
Post #1478200
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 2:26 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:05 PM
By the way, non-profs can get donated software at TechSoup.org - certainly worth a look!
Post #1478201
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 2:49 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:51 AM
You can download the free SQL Server Express software. It has some DB size limitations, but might be fine for what you're doing. SQL Server is more complex to set up, run, and maintain than Access, and I'd recommend you get some good SQL Server basics books or take some of the available online training if you're going to go that way.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
David Webb
Post #1478208
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 3:08 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:29 PM
Thomas no sense reinventing the wheel; it sounds like you want to search for "free work order system" or "free support ticket system" and maybe include "sql" in it to so you can be sure it's going to use the database system you are comfortable with.

most of the items i saw looks like you could hit the ground running on that kind of project.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1478215
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 3:27 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:21 PM
Thanks for the responses, I am currently looking at using the web form in Access and testing that, I was also looking at using a form plug-in in a Wordpress site, or even using Dreamweaver.

***SQL born on date Spring 2013
Post #1478221
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 3:40 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:28 AM
Please! No Dreamweaver!

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #1478226
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse