Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Execute Child packages parallel in loop Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 7, 2014 6:15 AM
hi ,
I have a master package which calls the child packages from a folder dynamically, when i tried this with execute package task inside a for each loop container , it is only looping the child package which is connected in the execute package task connection.
Could any please suggest me a way to achieve this task. I want the parent package to read the 1st child package , start and read next package, start and ....read last package, start.

Thanks in advance
Post #1472852
Posted Friday, July 12, 2013 1:36 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:35 AM
Did you put an expression on the Execute Package Task?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1472886
Posted Friday, July 12, 2013 9:35 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 7:12 PM
If I am not mistaken, using one execute package task (EPT) within a loop would execute the packages serially, right? Parallel EPT execution would require multiple EPTs that were not connected to each other.
Post #1473114
Posted Saturday, July 13, 2013 4:10 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:51 PM
jjr.123 (7/11/2013)
hi ,
I have a master package which calls the child packages from a folder dynamically, when i tried this with execute package task inside a for each loop container , it is only looping the child package which is connected in the execute package task connection.
Could any please suggest me a way to achieve this task. I want the parent package to read the 1st child package , start and read next package, start and ....read last package, start.

Thanks in advance

Kind of a kludge, but can be done by:

1. Have Int32 var increment by 1 each time through FeLC.
2. Have extra String var to store "last pkg name" so you have access to last pkg and current pkg
3. Have dummy Script Task in place to allow for Precedence Constraint, with two connections to Execute Package Tasks and a constraint that only proceeds when the Int32 variable is divisible by 2.
One of the Execute Package Tasks will run the var "last pkg name" and the other will run the loop's current pkg.

You'll need some logic to process the last pkg in case there were an odd number picked up by the loop, but that's the gist of it. Also know that both pkgs need to complete before the loop continues. Using two loops aide by side that iterate over the same folder and process a mutually exclusive set of pkgs is also an approach that could work.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1473324
Posted Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:32 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, November 7, 2014 6:15 AM
Hi Can you please share me a sample package that shows how to configure int32 variable to increment by 1 ,
other string variable to hold the packageName , and loop through packages in folder as u told above.

Thanks in advance
Post #1473401
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 1:09 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

sneumersky (7/12/2013)
If I am not mistaken, using one execute package task (EPT) within a loop would execute the packages serially, right? Parallel EPT execution would require multiple EPTs that were not connected to each other.

You're right, that would be needed. 4 EPT tasks would be a good start I think.

Post #1473487
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 1:10 AM

SSChampion

jjr.123 (7/14/2013)
Hi Can you please share me a sample package that shows how to configure int32 variable to increment by 1 ,
other string variable to hold the packageName , and loop through packages in folder as u told above.

Thanks in advance

How about you start designing the package and ask a question when you run into problems, instead of relying on other people to do your job?

Post #1473489
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 6:25 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:51 PM
jjr.123 (7/14/2013)

Thanks in advance

You've been given several viable options in the form of free guidance on a public forum from volunteers who also happen to do this for a living. If you would like help producing the actual deliverable send me a Private Message or email and I am sure we can work out a fair hourly rate. If you get more into producing a solution on your own and have questions, feel free to post back to this thread or start a new one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1473615
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:44 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 6:42 PM
Visit Books Online and go down the SSIS tree. There are descriptions for every control flow item in there. Once you have a feel for that item start tinkering with it. This will provide you a better learning experience that quick answers answers that you will later forget, because you don't have the knowledge foundation to integrate the answers into what you already know.
Post #1479551
Posted Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:38 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:55 PM
jjr.123 (7/11/2013)
hi ,

Thanks in advance

Here is a parallel loop example with a queue:
http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com/2013/11/execute-mutliple-child-packages-in.html
Post #1512959
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse