Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL Server also Domain Controller ? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:24 PM
Our secondary domain controller died, so we have no backup if the main one also dies. We have a reporting SQL server we could temporarily utilize as a backup domain controller.

What are the downsides to implementing the SQL 2008 server (Windows server 2003) as a domain controller and reporting SQL server until we get the other server fixed ?

Post #1471661
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:50 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
Resource contention would my first thought..

Is the SQL box running at near capacity or not?

Honestly I would do this as a last resort.

I would probably just build up a beefy desktop to fill the role till I could get a replacement server in instead. Adding a DC to a SQL box could easily cause performance issues for both SQL and the domain functionality.

CEWII
Post #1471670
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:35 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:19 AM
A bigger issue to making a SQL Server a DC is the permissions that get set. I once (accidently) started to promote a SQL Server to be a DC (it was late, I was RDPed into the wrong server, I was young and naive!) It broke the SQL Server even after I cancelled the dcpromo...

I managed to get it back up and running, but it wasn't a fun time.

TL:DR:
DON'T DO IT!
Take Elliotts' suggestion, find a decently powered desktop PC, load Server 200X on it and make it a DC. Or if you've got a virtualization environment (Hyper-V, VMWare) load a virtual machine and set it up as a DC.

Jason
Post #1471707
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:42 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
jasona.work (7/9/2013)
A bigger issue to making a SQL Server a DC is the permissions that get set. I once (accidently) started to promote a SQL Server to be a DC (it was late, I was RDPed into the wrong server, I was young and naive!) It broke the SQL Server even after I cancelled the dcpromo...

I managed to get it back up and running, but it wasn't a fun time.

TL:DR:
DON'T DO IT!
Take Elliotts' suggestion, find a decently powered desktop PC, load Server 200X on it and make it a DC. Or if you've got a virtualization environment (Hyper-V, VMWare) load a virtual machine and set it up as a DC.

Jason
I like the VM idea.

I just thought of something else, depending on the rights that your SQL runs as I could see some real hacking opportunities with having a DC on the box with SQL..

I just keep coming back to, it's just not worth it..

CEWII
Post #1471743
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:46 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:43 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506%28v=sql.100%29.aspx#DC_Support
Section: Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller

The biggest issue is reinstalling SQLServer before promo and then after changing from DC to domain meber.

"After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain controller."
Post #1471770
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:29 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. We will find a different box to use.

Post #1471794
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse