Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Query to get related Table name from given Column name in Oracle SQL Developer Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 12:36 AM
Hi ALL,

I am familiar with the SQL server 2008 R2 , but when it comes to the SQL developer i am not that much so i am facing a problem related to the creating Query .

I am having the Tables in the Users section of a Database and i want a Query to retrieve the Table name of the ColumnName (i written inside the Query )

Thank You.
Post #1471512
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:02 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:01 AM
I'm not sure what you mean, but have you tried the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS view?

John
Post #1471517
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:06 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

John Mitchell-245523 (7/9/2013)
I'm not sure what you mean, but have you tried the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS view?

John

Yes , I have tried using the basic names

SELECT COLUMN_NAME, TABLE_NAME
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

but i am receiving invalid Table name or View .
The main Problem over here is that " The Tables are not in the Direct Database , they are inside to the Individual Users (Roles) who are in that Database
Post #1471520
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:29 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:03 PM
Guitar_player (7/9/2013)
John Mitchell-245523 (7/9/2013)

John

Yes , I have tried using the basic names

but i am receiving invalid Table name or View .
The main Problem over here is that " The Tables are not in the Direct Database , they are inside to the Individual Users (Roles) who are in that Database

ummm....tables do not reside inside of a user or a role. They exist in the database, access to those tables is handled by the permissions granted to users and/or roles.

Do you get an error when you run this?

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1471654
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:12 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:48 PM
Sean Lange (7/9/2013)

ummm....tables do not reside inside of a user or a role. They exist in the database, access to those tables is handled by the permissions granted to users and/or roles.

Do you get an error when you run this?

i think he's very oracle oriented.

I tend to use the Oracle or SQL related views, instead of the information_schema stuff;
so for example, in oracle, i'd query user_tab_cols; in SQL, i'd query sys.columns directly

--ORACLE
select * from user_tab_cols where column_name='ACTTBLKEY';
--SQL-
SELECT OBJECT_NAME(object_id) As TABLE_NAME,* from sys.columns WHERE name = 'ACTTBLKEY';

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1471689
Posted Friday, July 12, 2013 6:44 AM
SSC Journeyman

Yes,

Thanks for the guidence

I have used Query something like this to get all the Table columns which are having nearly same name like below

select u.owner AS OWNERNAME, u.table_name as Source_TableName,u.column_name as Source_Column_Name
from all_tab_columns u
where Upper(u.column_name) like upper('%Colun_Name%')

It worked fine i think.... but now i am facing another problem Please help me to find it

Can i get a Query to know the Owner name , Table name and Column name from the Entire Database which are having same
Employee name ("Employee1 ","Employee 2")

Through which i can get all the owners ,tables , columns which are having that Data
("Employee1 ","Employee 2")

Post #1472995
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse