Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

bad Windows login when connect to SQL Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:13 AM
schleep (7/9/2013)
Had a similar problem some months ago with renamed Windows accounts.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1328455-1550-3.aspx#bm1352733
After banging our heads against the proverbial wall for a week, we stumbled upon the solution: re-boot the SQL Server.

Might I suggest then that the cache that OPC was talking about is in TempDB? It would make some sense.....
Post #1471561
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:27 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:49 AM
I checked in tempdb and saw nothing special: (
I checked the CREATE VIEW [system]. [Server_principals_new] but it uses system tables that are not queryable as master.sys.sysxlgns, sys.syspalnames... !

For the reboot, it's not so easy in production :)
Post #1471578
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:38 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 5:21 AM
I know. It was frustrating, since we had to schedule our AD changes around the 15 minute nightly window for re-booting. Even more frustrating as it was only the primary prod box that required the re-boot. Most of the other SQL servers did not show this behaviour.

Post #1471585
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:03 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Saturday, July 26, 2014 8:57 AM
You can select from those system tables only when logged in using the DAC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1471595
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:55 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

I done some tests on a dev environnement and in the master.sys.sysxlgns there is only logins that are defined on the server, I dont see logins that are connected via a group !!
Post #1471632
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:09 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Finding them in one of the tables referenced by sys.server_principals was just a hunch. They could be somewhere else too. Have you tried adding the Login and then dropping it to see if that changes things?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1471642
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:21 AM
Valued Member

no, I don't tried create/drop login because now the problem is solved
I do not know how, I just deleted and created some other logins and it seems that synchronization is done!

but I want to find a solution for the next time

I will see if I can do some other tests to try your workaround
Post #1471649
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:39 AM

SSCertifiable

chauchs (7/9/2013)
no, I don't tried create/drop login because now the problem is solved
I do not know how, I just deleted and created some other logins and it seems that synchronization is done!

I am speculating because none of this seems to be documented, but adding any new Login may have prompted SQL Server to re-resolve group-member SIDs to names the next time they are used so you may have indirectly and inadvertently solved the problem by adding a new Login.

but I want to find a solution for the next time

If you happen to isolate it, please post back. I, am I'm sure others as well, could benefit from the information.

Post #1471659
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:30 AM
Valued Member

Is there a way to edit the system functions?

As the system procedures in the database mssqlsystemresource, because I can see them but can't generate script !!
I would like to know where the functions (like SUSER_SID, SUSER_SNAME ...) get information.
Post #1471704
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:36 AM

SSCertifiable

chauchs (7/9/2013)
Is there a way to edit the system functions?

Nope. The ability to mess with system objects was taken away in SQL 2005 because people were modifying the system in unsupported ways, getting wrong behavior, and then calling Microsoft in to help them fix their system. That's when the System/Catalog Views and DMOs were introduced.

As the system procedures in the database mssqlsystemresource, because I can see them but can't generate script !!
I would like to know where the functions (like SUSER_SID, SUSER_SNAME ...) get information.

That stuff is likely buried in a DLL compiled from C++ code, so no again.

Post #1471709
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse