Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Who's Got Your Data? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
David Benoit (7/3/2013)

Somehow we need to get to the place where we are able to master data access in such a way that people, by job definition, only get to see the data that they truly need, and yet all jobs functions are able to work flawlessly without being constrained by those same restrictions. Utopia? Maybe.

I think it is Utopia, mostly because of the overhead of trying to classify data. too often I think we don't know, or don't have the time to spend doing this. How many people actually set up 3-4 roles in a database, and limit the access? Few do, often because we can't easily classify data or entities for a job, and often because as applications evolve, we need to give access to new tables, or portions of tables.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1470153
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:36 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:13 AM
Steve,

Yep, that about sums it up. I've known since Oli North was busted by emails he thought he deleted that anything that is ever online for a single moment can potentially be saved and viewed by others without my knowledge. I am ambivalent about this state of reality. On the one hand, I'm trying hard to blend in with the heard, and hope that the lions stalking us choose someone else to eat for lunch. On the other hand, I try to reduce my electronic footprint whenever possible by: 1) Never signing up for "Club Cards" whenever I have a choice in the matter; 2) I never cache my passwords when signing in to internet sites; 3) I never allow my financial information to be cached; 4) I use a low limit ATM card that I keep < $200 in, for all online purchases; 5) I use Paypal, which uses the same low-limit card, whenever possible to pay for things on the internet; 6) I have a credit-watch service to monitor unusual activity, or who is requesting a credit check on me; 7) I always consider what I'm posting on the internet, with the mantra "would I be OK saying this in a court of law?"; 8) I will identify myself explicitly when I deem it beneficial to me, otherwise I try to anonymize my presence in forums and online whenever possible; 9) I expect that Big Brother (NSA) is monitoring everything I say and write, but I trust my government to do the right thing... most of the time.

Cheers!

Banyardi Schmardi
Post #1470175
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:14 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:39 AM
Do you also post Federal, State, Regional, and Local government's, political parties', union organizations' and other NGO's data breaches as well as businesses or individuals?
Post #1470191
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:28 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:23 AM
Thanks for raising the issue, Steve.

It's something that needs to be kept in the public eye.

Data generation /creation is inevitable and so is capture. This reply is being captured somewhere.

The crux of the matter is what is being done or going to be done with the data.

The worst mistake of governments and corporations is to deny or force others to deny they are collecting it. They have to be open about what they do with it and also afford individuals the opportunity to access personal data held and check its integrity.

Movies like Enemy of the State show how data collected about a person can be misused by governments in the name of protecting all of us.

Disfunctional legislatures compound the problem, because there is nobody there to protect the citizenry.

They have to stop saying "Trust us. We know what's best for you". That doesn't cut it any more.
Post #1470276
Posted Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:16 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 10:02 AM
As a father with daughters, I worry about the indiscriminate abuse by single FBI agents. Let me cross reference birth control pills with condom purchases and bar patronage. Where is that cell phone at this Friday night?
How about you take short cut to work through a bad part of town.
You then have to answer questions about your boss, but are asked how your
wife would feel about you checking out hookers every night?
Or my favorite from the UK. Kids who get mad at teachers, take a photo of the
teacher's license plate; print it; rent a car like the teacher's and put the photo
over the rental's plate. Then run through the red light cameras near the school and the teacher's home.
Too much data. No way to control it.
Happy 4th!
Post #1470433
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 8:23 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
swwg69 (7/4/2013)
As a father with daughters, I worry about the indiscriminate abuse by single FBI agents. Let me cross reference birth control pills with condom purchases and bar patronage. Where is that cell phone at this Friday night?
How about you take short cut to work through a bad part of town.
You then have to answer questions about your boss, but are asked how your
wife would feel about you checking out hookers every night?
Or my favorite from the UK. Kids who get mad at teachers, take a photo of the
teacher's license plate; print it; rent a car like the teacher's and put the photo
over the rental's plate. Then run through the red light cameras near the school and the teacher's home.
Too much data. No way to control it.
Happy 4th!

I worry less about taking responsibility for things I (or you) did, but few know about. That is a problem, but abuse by someone that takes advantage of knowledge, for the purpose of attacking/blackmailing/etc. is an issue.

There have been reports of interns seeing this data, contractors, etc. Those may or may not be people to worry about, but we certainly shouldn't be taking chances. We should be tracking who has access, when, and ensure there are consequences or mining of the miners' actions as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1470758
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:57 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:34 AM
For years many have said that "if all your actions are legal and ethically clear you have nothing to hide." Well those days are past. You may not be convicted of anything and the law may see you as clean, but there are other eyes looking into that data that are not legally or morally correct. Thieves and rascals are out for all they can pilfer and they will hit any target that is not protected.

It no longer is an issue of me not doing anything wrong and having nothing to hide. The issue is I want others to know only those things I want them to know to protect my privacy and life. I want some expectation of privacy to exist with no unauthorized collection of data about me and mine.

Years back we found out that by tagging members of a herd we could track migratory behaviors of elephants, tigers, snow leopards and others. That information was vital in the correction of human practices to protect some very delicate populations of endangered species. But once we had that technology in place we wanted to use it for other things. Scientists because that can are tracking the patterns of the human species and their behaviors without their permission using their cell phones and other devices as the in. Then through sloppy data protections they are "sharing" that data through cracks and lax protections. Or some are simply selling it.

You are right, this is frightening.

M...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1471725
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:06 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:01 AM
Miles Neale (7/9/2013)
Fo...
It no longer is an issue of me not doing anything wrong and having nothing to hide. The issue is I want others to know only those things I want them to know to protect my privacy and life. I want some expectation of privacy to exist with no unauthorized collection of data about me and mine.

You are so right about it not just being about doing something wrong. The internet has quite a memory and you don't know who is accessing it. Perhaps you may pontificate perfectly legally on controversial subjects that interest you, religion, politics, gun policy, abortion, whatever. And down the road, you're applying for an apartment, or a job and someone finds something they don't like. Or perhaps you're involved in a legal issue like a civil suit and a lawyer finds something to leverage your credibility. (Look how an inappropriate remark from 25 years ago has returned to haunt a celebrity)

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1471758
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:14 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 9:40 AM
Perhaps you may pontificate perfectly legally on controversial subjects that interest you, religion, politics, gun policy, abortion, whatever. And down the road, you're applying for an apartment, or a job and someone finds something they don't like.

Hence the need for aliases. Odd, how the Internet, which was supposed to advance the free flow of information, is also making its users schizophrenic.
Post #1471761
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:12 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:34 AM
jay-h (7/9/2013)
Miles Neale (7/9/2013)
Fo...

You are so right about it not just being about doing something wrong. The internet has quite a memory and you don't know who is accessing it. Perhaps you may pontificate perfectly legally on controversial subjects that interest you, religion, politics, gun policy, abortion, whatever. And down the road, you're applying for an apartment, or a job and someone finds something they don't like. Or perhaps you're involved in a legal issue like a civil suit and a lawyer finds something to leverage your credibility. (Look how an inappropriate remark from 25 years ago has returned to haunt a celebrity)

Thanks jay.

To take what you have said one step further if I could, it does not even have to be a controversial subject. You could take a stand on some method of building a SQL View of a complex collection of data from various joined tables and the indexing of that view that is proven to work great in the reading of the view but takes a long time to build in a bach process every evening. And since you are all for rapid access and see the justification for the large batch window to build that structure you are labeled as one who wastes computer time and resources. Then when you defend yourself you are called argumentative and a rebel.

It can get worse while all the time you are trying to make it better.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1471778
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse