Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Planning Disk and File layout Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:18 AM
Hi all

We are looking to migrate from a busy datawarehouse server to a new server and I have been tasked with ensuring the database files are all on appropriate disks that are yet to be determined.

I am thinking about capturing IO using sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats to work out those files most heavily used, and also bench marking the new disks with SQLIO and working out from there the appropriate file to disk lay out.

What do people think of my approach, does anyone have any tips for doing this?

Many thanks

P.S. I know we should probably be bench marking our servers in the first place and this is the start of that exercise.
Post #1469545
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:30 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:02 AM
That's probably the route I'd go down. Would also be interested in other approaches if anyone has any.

Thanks,

Simon

MCSA: SQL Server 2012
Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne
Post #1469558
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:46 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, December 6, 2013 12:45 AM
First question to ask yourself during data warehousing (talking from my own experience here)...
How strong is your server? Then, look at your disk speeds and set-up of your disk array.
remember a fully populated array works faster than a half full array. Also separate your dimension loads and fact loads.
I personally had an increase of around 60% odd but simply playing with these variables :)
Looking at loading stats for me did not help, cause we all know...every server has its own demons :)
Post #1469985
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse