Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1213141516

A New Look Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:58 AM
Just a quick observation. There were quite a few people who took the opportunity to jump on this thread and express their displeasure with the look of the new newsletter. If there were very little buzz here, I'd agree that you could likely move on because there just wasn't a lot of interest. However, the thread is now 15 pages, with what seem like the majority responding that they don't like the narrow column on their larger monitors.

For me - if I'm on my tablet and reading, the new look isn't a distraction. It fits on my Surface screen nicely. However, when reading at work it doesn't look right to me because I have a huge amount of space surrounding that narrow strip of text. I'd love a variable width where the content fills some percentage of the available space rather than an arbitrary number of pixels.

I understand that stuff like this is subjective, but if you have people working on UX it might be wise to run the look by a sampling of users for feedback before flipping the switch. As users of the site/content, we're likely to be looking at things differently than those who are not regular users and are just working on a look/feel. We run into that regularly at our office where it's very easy for our UX people to think "This looks great!" when they're missing key parts of how our users actually work. :)

More in the other threads, I'm sure. I appreciate that time is being taken to look into this, but I'll tend to agree with Jeff in a large part. The reason most of us stop saying something is because we feel that it's useless to do so. (Think .. MS Connect and the number of tickets closed as "will not fix".)

Post #1481000
Posted Monday, August 5, 2013 10:52 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:36 AM
Peter Schott (8/5/2013)

I understand that stuff like this is subjective, but if you have people working on UX it might be wise to run the look by a sampling of users for feedback before flipping the switch. As users of the site/content, we're likely to be looking at things differently than those who are not regular users and are just working on a look/feel. We run into that regularly at our office where it's very easy for our UX people to think "This looks great!" when they're missing key parts of how our users actually work. :)

Hence the piece in the newsletter today, and a few more coming. I dislike flipping switches without tests and this wasn't well done.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1481007
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:23 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:39 AM
I like it; it's alot cleaner. The original was starting to cause me to skim and delete because there was just too much. I like how everything is basically one column.
Post #1481488
Posted Friday, August 9, 2013 1:14 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:17 AM
I have to agree with the majority that prefer the wider format instead of the narrow one. As DBAs, we usually don't do the majority of our work on tablets or phones, but rather on computers with nice monitors. I have two and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1482910
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:54 AM
I prefer the old wider format. Looks better on a big screen.

I also prefer the fact that the e-mails were substantially smaller in KB. The e-mail preceding the change was 45 KB, the one after 91 KB. On average the difference is not as great, but still substantial.
Post #1488708
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1213141516

Permissions Expand / Collapse