Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««89101112»»»

A New Look Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:23 PM
I see no improvement for the readers ... looks like it was done to improve ad placement, i.e. the narrow width and, hence, longer page length to accommodate ads.

Mike
MacroTrenz.Com
LinkedIn
Post #1470647
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 6:29 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Today @ 1:54 AM
I do not like the new look:

- too narrow
- too much empty space
- i find the newsletter harder to read
- too much scrolling

Please let the text flow and fill the viewing window.
The rest of modifications are OK.
Post #1470696
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 8:49 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:12 PM
I agree with most of the other comments about it being too narrow. The nice design changes are completely overshadowed by scrolling on a big monitor. Today's Voice of the DBA format was ridiculous to try an read. Of the 600px that should have had content in it, only 160px were used for the article. If your going to go to a fixed width of only 600px you can't take up the majority of the already too narrow space with garbage. If I keep seeing this I'm going to start just pressing the delete key.
Post #1470775
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 9:53 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 11:24 PM
Too small for me and dont really like it.
Post #1470803
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 10:41 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:31 PM
Don't like it. I have very little time each day to look at this newsletter and I relied on the fact that the summary of its contents was always on top so I could do a quick glance to see if there was something of particular interest. The new format requires that I scroll and read before I know if I want to read...result? I'm now not reading it and I've just turned it off. No point in receiving it if I won't read it at all.
Post #1470815
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 11:25 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:01 AM
I'll echo what lots of others are saying. I don't like it. It's two narrow to read. Your 'Voice of the DBA' editorial in the email is so narrow it's usually only 3 to 4 words wide per line. (Sometimes there's only 1 or 2 words per line). Not having the summary at the top is a pain also. Just because the old version was around for 'almost a decade' doesn't mean it didn't work. If it wasn't broken... why change it?

Post #1470826
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 3:10 PM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:31 PM
I agree with others that say the topics should be back at the top. I like to read the headers and then jump the section that catches my attention.
Post #1470875
Posted Friday, July 5, 2013 4:20 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:10 AM
The new look is great on my Iphone, but horrible on my monitors.
Post #1470878
Posted Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:34 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:47 AM
I agree with the others... it's way too skinny (about 1/3 the width of any of my screens) and it causes way too much scrolling.

I have to admit that I liked the old format much better. It looked just as clean, had much less wasted horizontal space, and didn't require nearly as much scrolling. If it were up to me (and I realize it's not), I'd go back to the old newsletter format.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1470929
Posted Monday, July 8, 2013 2:39 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:23 PM
After receiving the newsletter for about 13 years, I unsubscribed today.

Mike
MacroTrenz.Com
LinkedIn
Post #1471088
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««89101112»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse