Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Intrusion of Life Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:54 AM
I have told my children that "Family comes first, but not always." Sometimes work intrudes on the evenings and weekends and that's just the way it is.

Post #1471193
Posted Monday, July 8, 2013 9:50 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:42 AM
I am pleased to hear that everyone is OK, as that is what really matters.

I also like that your company is one that actually follows through on the idea of understanding we all have thing pop up. Most companies talk the talk, but forget how to walk as soon as the shoe is on the other foot. They are happy to allow us to put in extra time without pay, but the minute we need something, well, uh, you see, um...

Dave
Post #1471256
Posted Monday, July 8, 2013 10:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
RonKyle (7/8/2013)
I have told my children that "Family comes first, but not always." Sometimes work intrudes on the evenings and weekends and that's just the way it is.

I hear ya, that's called living in the REAL world.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1471285
Posted Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:18 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:24 AM
Just as with any relationship, the true colors of an employer will show in a crisis.

It all comes down to how much an employer values someone as an employee and to what lengths the employer is willing to go to accommodate the employee in times of need.

Also, it is a question of trust: if, over a long period of time the employee has shown dedication, diligence, skill etc., then that should count for something in family emergencies. Otherwise, it is time to start "looking" elsewhere.

An inflexible employer is bound to lose valuable workers with time, as they move on to better opportunities. As a DBA I know that "good" people in my field are in short supply and the demand for skilled database professionals will only increase with time.

So, even though we depend on the job to earn a living, we have something very valuable to sell, and may the best employer win!

__________________________________________________________________________________

Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 1
Real-Time Tracking of Tempdb Utilization Through Reporting Services
Monitoring Database Blocking Through SCOM 2007 Custom Rules and Alerts
Preparing for the Unthinkable - a Disaster/Recovery Implementation
Post #1475814
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse