Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Better Technical Interviews Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Better Technical Interviews

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1467932
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:07 AM
Give them a rope and let them hang themselves (metaphorically speaking).

Ask open ended questions and see how they handle themselves. Deliberately ask questions you think that they may not be able to answer in order to test both their integrity and explore how they would deal with leaving their comfort zone.

You don't have to be mean about it, after all you are doing the same for everyone including current team members who have been taken on.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1468123
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:03 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:09 PM
I like the idea of having interviewers conduct interviews of some existing employees. We have to be able to separate a strong candidate who interviews poorly from a weak candidate who interviews well. I admit I find that to be difficult. I don't fall for sales pitches and usually see them for what they are, but I find that the interview process itself is too short to make a really well-informed decision.

I usually slip in a trick question that isn't possible and watch the reaction. If they're bluffing the interview, they're done. If they can admit they don't know, then that indicates honesty, which is important. The best example of this I've seen was posted (I believe by Sean Lange) who asks when the last time was that the candidate queried the transaction log to rollback a transaction that shouldn't have been performed. Granted, these will only take us so far.

Examples of work they're especially proud of AND something they're disappointed with are good topics too.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1468167
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:31 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:15 PM
The idea of hiring someone for a side project is a good one the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard.
Post #1468189
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:49 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

johnbrown105 56149 (6/27/2013)
The idea of hiring someone for a side project is a good one the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard.

because?

Post #1468203
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:15 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
I think that's sarcasm (I hope).
Post #1468247
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:50 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/27/2013)
johnbrown105 56149 (6/27/2013)

because?

I'm supposed to quit my job to work for you for a week on the chance that maybe, just maybe, I might be hired permanently? Do you genuinely think that this is not a ridiculous idea?
Post #1468261
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:56 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
I think you misunderstood. Steve thinks you should work a few hours at home (after work) doing a small project over a week or two and get paid for it.

Personally I know many people who do this just to make extra money and would not consider it unreasonable to be asked to do this. This is in the US though maybe it's different elsewhere...
Post #1468263
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:08 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Perhaps we have different definitions of side project. As John H noted, this would be 15-20 hours outside your current job, nights, weekends, whatever.

This would assume you've gotten through an interview or two and both sides (employer and employee), want to move forward.

As a side note, if you didn't think this was a good idea, an explanation of why, or some reasons make sense. Jumping to conclusions and saying something is ridiculous doesn't seem like a thoughtful reaction.

Post #1468284
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:53 PM
Grasshopper

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/27/2013)
Perhaps we have different definitions of side project. As John H noted, this would be 15-20 hours outside your current job, nights, weekends, whatever.

Yes, it seems so. Your "side project" is 15-20 hours. I definitely was not thinking along those lines. I fail to see that what you could learn in that time that you could not find out in an old-fashioned interview.

As a side note, if you didn't think this was a good idea, an explanation of why, or some reasons make sense. Jumping to conclusions and saying something is ridiculous doesn't seem like a thoughtful reaction.

To be honest, it seemed self-evident to me. I struggle to see why anyone would have a different view.

Then there is the fact that this method does not scale, as you put it. Well, you got that right. You can assess exactly one person this way. How many 15-20 hour projects do you have lying around anyway?

This idea has no chance to work.
Post #1468335
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse