Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Add a new server to Central Management Servers's group/subgroup. Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:54 PM
I have a CMS setup on my Monitoring server that can talk to all other servers.
It looks like this

I would like to know if there is a way(scripting) to add a new server to this monitoring group. I know I can rt click and register a new server but I want to run a SP rather than using the GUI. Coz when ever a new serve is created I want to run this SP that adds new server to this group.

Please advise. Also does anyone know if we can query the metadata associated with CMS

Ex:

SELECT ServerName, RegisteredGroup FROM master/msdb.SomeTableThatSavesCMSData

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday
Post #1467330
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:41 PM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:52 AM
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I've always used powershell to do this. If you have a master list of your servers in a table somewhere, then it is really easy to grab those with powershell and register them in the CMS.

Here is a good article to get you started with doing this in powershell:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2658/using-powershell-to-register-all-sql-instances-into-central-management-server/

Twitter: @SQL_JGood
Blog: sqljgood.wordpress.com/
Post #1467386
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:11 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:54 PM
I do not know too , I will experiment with it tomorrow and will let you know.

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday
Post #1467425
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:06 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:35 AM
Mr. Factor wrote a really good article on administering SQL Servers with CMS. In the article, he writes of the tables that you can use to manage your registered servers:

https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-tools/registered-servers-and--central-management-server-stores/

I have used these tables to automate registration. I also have an email delivered to me when a server is added, so that I can investigate and categorize.

Karl Lambert
SQL Server Database Administration
Business Intelligence Development
Post #1467687
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse