Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Server log error Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 11:04 PM
Hi,

My company user complain to me about the web application getting error every day on certain time. So I check my SQL server log for any error and found out few special event, please refer below

" SQL Server has encountered 3 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file in databases. The OS file handle is 0x0000000000000B4C. The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x000000d7e68000 "

It happen for few database and i am not sure how to troubleshoot it.

Regards,
Chung Boon
Post #1467069
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:47 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:19 AM
You have slow IO requests. Check that the IO subsystem is not overloaded, try tuning queries to read less data.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1467073
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:45 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

So how to check the IO is overloaded?

My drive is from SAN so mostly it is not the drive issue, but most likely my query. Any query that i can use to check the top query running in my sql server?
Post #1467423
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:50 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

There's nothing magical about a SAN that means it's not the problem. In fact, it's very likely it is the SAN, a misconfigured SAN.

Check the throughput you're getting from the sAN (google, there's detailed docs on that), chat with your SAN admin, check the SAN's performance.

As for queries:
https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/
https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1467492
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Ok, thanks a lot.

My SAN admin say nothing wrong with the thing so i will go thru the troubleshooting for my SQL server.

Thanks for the link.
Post #1467494
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:08 AM

SSC-Forever

In my experience, the SAN admin almost always says there's nothing wrong even when the SAN is clearly, obviously and provably the problem.

Gail Shaw

Post #1467497
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:42 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:17 AM
GilaMonster (6/26/2013)
In my experience, the SAN admin almost always says there's nothing wrong even when the SAN is clearly, obviously and provably the problem.

I completely agree. The three times I have experienced this issue I get a nothing is wrong from SAN guy.... Open a case with MSFT and it is nearly impossible to figure out what exactly is wrong and then finally SAN team admits they have a problem.

Post #1467588
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 2:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi Guys,

I run a few query on my SQL server, and found out everyday at certain time, my server CPU usage will raise up until 100% and that is where the error log appeared.

I need some guide line to check while file or which query causing the high CPU usage, i already tried certain query from internet but still unable to identified what is the main reason for that error. Thanks

Regards,
Post #1468456
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 2:46 AM

SSC-Forever

chung_boon (6/28/2013)
I need some guide line to check while file or which query causing the high CPU usage, i already tried certain query from internet but still unable to identified what is the main reason for that error. Thanks

Regards,

Gail Shaw

Post #1468468
Posted Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Hi Gail,

I am doing fine with the part 1 to capture the queries and store procedure, i already have the procedure Name ( i use a test database to try out the procedure)

example: msdb.dbo.sp_sqlagent_get_perf_counters

How to examine the queries statistics and execution plan from it? Because i have no idea what the code for procedure looks like. Is it procedure refer to TextData column like what we obtain during part 1?

Regards,
Chungb
Post #1468929
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse