Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SQL Server Should Work for Us Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:56 PM
If you make the toolset good enough then SQL Server becomes that can be cradle to grave.

It can cope with numpties but in the hands of a master it can perform wonders.

You'd be amazed how many IT professionals don't know how strings work or what an interupt vector is, or have a rudimentary understanding of storage, or latency or a whole host of other nitty gritty details. They simply haven't needed to.

Would they have been better if they did understand the nitty gritty? I'd hope so if they had a desire to become tech leads and architects, but probably not if they had an aspiration for management.

I get the impression that what you are really asking is to be recognised as a skilled professional rather than a replaceable nobody. For that you have to develop soft skills or be golden boy to someone with the soft skills. I know it isn't fair but to quote a song "life's a bitch and then you die".

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1465168
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:50 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 6:39 PM
However why do we need to go to the maintenance plan's log? SQL Server includes the job history. It includes maintenance plans. Why doesn't the job understand there is a maintenance plan, read it's log, and return the information? Or give us a button on the job history that loads up the maintenance plan log? That's a simple thing to do, and isn't the job of software to make tasks easier?

This sounds like a useful feature missing from the SQL Server Management Studio application, rather than the database engine or SQL Agent. Perhaps Microsoft has intentionally capped the investment on SSMS, implementing basic management functionality, thinking that 3rd party tool vendors or add-ins will fill in the gaps.
Another feature missing from SSMS 2008/2012 out of the box, something that I consider to be basic, is information schema search. This was included in the old v2000 Query Analyzer. However, Red Gate's SQL Search add-in can be downloaded for free and is even better.
Post #1465176
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:58 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
As an accidental DBA myself, I give your comments a hearty "Here! Here!", Steve.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1465182
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:58 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:12 PM
Steve, you are right on the money, the user interface of a product like this should be more sophisticated, especially with the prices that we are paying now for licensing.
Post #1465232
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:59 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:12 PM
Steve, you are right on the money, the user interface of a product like this should be more sophisticated, especially with the prices that we are paying now for licensing.
Post #1465236
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:56 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:49 PM
Put a team of 50 people to work on usability and improving the tooling. It will be a great investment for the future.

Or....

Microsoft could license (or buy) the technology from companies that are producing cool solutions to some of these very problems. Just thought...

:{>

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1465294
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:20 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:56 AM
I'm blessed to work with another DBA who subscribes to the ideas behind the "lazy DBA" philosophy - don't work harder/more than you have to. He set up some phenomenal monitoring and alerting around all of our scheduled jobs. If a new job is created, it will soon be modified to send alerts on failure. Those alerts pull out the relevant details about any failures that occurred and send those along with the alert. We have alerts for drives out of space that contain a brief listing of critical DB files on those drives. We get detailed failure notices for replication if it has issues. We even have visibility into basic stats/items running on our servers over a web interface for when it's needed.

I agree with Steve's point that this is one of many areas that could be enhanced. Andy also makes a good point that MS could just buy/tweak an existing solution without too much trouble.

Of course, having read this I think I need to bug my co-worker about putting some of this info in a blog post. It would be really helpful to people who manage quite a few systems.

Post #1465298
Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:31 PM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 3:43 PM
Amen! From your lips to MS's ears!

Steve, this is the best editorial you have written yet.
Post #1465329
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:37 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 12:19 AM
Peter Schott (6/19/2013)
I'm blessed to work with another DBA who subscribes to the ideas behind the "lazy DBA" philosophy - don't work harder/more than you have to. He set up some phenomenal monitoring and alerting around all of our scheduled jobs. If a new job is created, it will soon be modified to send alerts on failure. Those alerts pull out the relevant details about any failures that occurred and send those along with the alert. We have alerts for drives out of space that contain a brief listing of critical DB files on those drives. We get detailed failure notices for replication if it has issues. We even have visibility into basic stats/items running on our servers over a web interface for when it's needed.

I agree with Steve's point that this is one of many areas that could be enhanced. Andy also makes a good point that MS could just buy/tweak an existing solution without too much trouble.

Of course, having read this I think I need to bug my co-worker about putting some of this info in a blog post. It would be really helpful to people who manage quite a few systems.

Einstein once said: If you can't explain a subject in simple terms to a layman, you don't know enough about the subject yourself.

Your DBA has mastered that concept and is the DBA every company "should" have. But then, I am sure he keeps himself abreast of developments, makes sure those less skilled have the answers to questions they need in a manner they can understand and realises the importantance of continuation training. That guy deserves that pat on the back but then companies that have that sort of professionalism take it for granted and reason that "he is only doing the job he is paid for".

Easy to use software, less complex practices, the ability to say "well, it isn't my job anyway": What ever happened to good old-fashioned workplace-pride and standards where the individual knew what needed to be done and simply did it?

(Disclaimer: Not in a good mood this morning and feeling very cynical....)

Post #1465473
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:52 PM
Andy Leonard (6/19/2013)
Put a team of 50 people to work on usability and improving the tooling. It will be a great investment for the future.

Or....

Microsoft could license (or buy) the technology from companies that are producing cool solutions to some of these very problems. Just thought...

:{>

they do this at times. Or have done it in the past. ;)

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1465594
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse