Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Fact Dimension issue Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:11 AM
Hi All,

requirement :
"Fact dimension – load from LatencyDays"

Do I need to create this dim separately or else while creating cube automatically creating a fact dim
with fact table name.
Is this same which I mentioned as requirement.

If yes, taking only one Latency days column into dim is that fine for fat dim, or else do I need to take all key columns into dim.

Please help in understanding the degenerate dim.

Thanks,
NIHARIKA

Post #1462582
Posted Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:54 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
niha.736 (6/12/2013)
Please help in understanding the degenerate dim.

We call degenerate dimension a dimension key (sitting on a fact table) that does not have an actual dimension table related. An example of this would be a check number, a fact table like fact_checks would have a check_number column that looks like a dimension but there is no dimension table for it therefore, a degenerate dimension as labeled by Kimball.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1462643
Posted Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:53 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:11 AM
Hi Paul Thanks For the reply,

If you can provide some more information on this, It will help me to understand better.

1. will degenerate dimension contain only one attribute ?
as u mentioned in ur example ( check number attribute)

2. I have created cube(SSAS 2012), while creating it, it prompts me to create a dimension based on my fact table . can we say this as degenerate dimension which I mentioned as requirement in my above post.

3. what could be the dimension key for this degenerate dimension ?
Is that check number attribute or some other fact key?

Thanks & Regards,
NIHARIKA
Post #1462895
Posted Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:07 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
niha.736 (6/12/2013)
Hi Paul Thanks For the reply,

If you can provide some more information on this, It will help me to understand better.

1. will degenerate dimension contain only one attribute ?
as u mentioned in ur example ( check number attribute)

2. I have created cube(SSAS 2012), while creating it, it prompts me to create a dimension based on my fact table . can we say this as degenerate dimension which I mentioned as requirement in my above post.

3. what could be the dimension key for this degenerate dimension ?
Is that check number attribute or some other fact key?

In short, since a degenerate dimension is NOT a dimension table but just a column on a fact table that has the look and feeling of a dimension - like a check number - then, yes, it has a single attribute... stored on the fact table!

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1463355
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse