Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

The Importance of Reading Comments Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 12, 2013 9:19 AM
This is reminiscent of the "test" they gave perdiocally when I was still in school. The instructions said "Read the entire test before starting." The questions were quite time consuming to answer and it was a timed test. Of course if you did read the whole test before starting you would find an instruction at the very end saying "Answer only Questions 1 and 2 and ignore the rest."
Post #1461676
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 10:58 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:46 AM
vyengr (6/10/2013)
This is reminiscent of the "test" they gave perdiocally when I was still in school. The instructions said "Read the entire test before starting." The questions were quite time consuming to answer and it was a timed test. Of course if you did read the whole test before starting you would find an instruction at the very end saying "Answer only Questions 1 and 2 and ignore the rest."

I remember that thing. The first two instructions indicated that you were to put your name and date on the test (different spots, depending on the test) and that was it.

Annoying but funny.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1461678
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 11:43 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:58 PM
You have chosen to link a rather ancient article that covers SQL Server 7.0, 2000, 2005 which is no longer relevant. Under SQL Server 2000 you had to detach a user db to move it as the alter database command was only valid for tempdb files

Perry, I don't know why you say this is an ancient article because after having had a look at it again I saw SQL Server 2012 at the top of the page??????

Thanks for the positive feed back and remembering I am not a DBA, I still have a lot to learn and am greatful for a forum like this to learn from.

I would, however, like to know what is actually the best to do. Move or detach an attach taking in consideration that there is no replication on the database to be moved?

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #1461687
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 11:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

I remember that thing. The first two instructions indicated that you were to put your name and date on the test (different spots, depending on the test) and that was it.

Many times I sat in that exam room and the only questions I knew was right was my name and the date!!!
You sit there and strike a complete blank even though you have studied so hard and late nights!!

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #1461690
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 1:26 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:51 PM
I have a habit of putting a word at the end of the section BEFORE the comment that is not commented out but is invalid (I often use my nickname SIGGY). This stops the script at that point if I hit F5 without selecting the previous section.
Post #1461747
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 1:37 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 4:29 PM
Thanks for the article, it was an amusing little story and it contains a significant point. Authors often have an entire article along with the script and they often put significant things in the comments that go with the script. It is often very useful to read the comments and anything that goes with the script, especially if you want to really understand how it works or if you encounter problems.

Your story also emphasizes the importance of having a test environment. Having one has saved me many times.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Post #1461757
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 4:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:27 AM
Nice article, Mannie. Yes... I absolutely agree. Reading the comments is important. That's why most of the scripts I post on the forums say "Details are in the comments."

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1461794
Posted Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:12 AM

Ten Centuries

Jeff Moden (6/10/2013)
Nice article, Mannie. Yes... I absolutely agree. Reading the comments is important. That's why most of the scripts I post on the forums say "Details are in the comments."

Thanks Jeff. I respect and honor you as a seasoned DBA and have already learned a lot from you but clearly not enough.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

Post #1461891
Posted Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:35 AM

Ten Centuries

Your story also emphasizes the importance of having a test environment. Having one has saved me many times.

I think it is very important to TEST all scripts gotten from the internet first before running it on a live database. I have aslo already learnt that in a very hard way.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

Post #1461901
Posted Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:55 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:37 AM
For me the following are the salient points for the reader:
- One should understand what every part of a code example is doing before using it.
- Test in a sandboxed environment (as done by Manie).

For me the following are the salient points for the author:
- If there are multiple parts then perhaps there are multiple code files / script blocks.
- Describe not only the technical solution but, where appropriate, how it must be applied.

Of course, I have at times failed to do all of these and have been burnt learned from my experiences (hopefully).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1461936
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse