Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL training tasks Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 12:51 PM
Hi,

I recently found an interesting site - http://codekatas.org/ - it is a collection of small programming tasks for you to train on. I was just wondering whether there is something similiar for SQL queries...something like small tasks saying 'using the given database, write a SELECT that gets the data as decribed...' Sure there is this forum, but could it not be taken one step further...?

I can imagine a website where you could post a task (maybe along with a set of test cases and your solution) and see what others can come up with. It would be more than a forum - using provided test cases and automatic query cost approximation, one could just pick a task and see how fast and how well they can solve it, getting instant feedback from the engine.

Now the question: is there something like that out there? And if not, would it be of interest?
Post #1461303
Posted Saturday, June 8, 2013 3:49 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 PM
We are working on something here: http://learnsomesql.com/lesson/simple-selects

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1461306
Posted Saturday, June 8, 2013 4:06 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 12:51 PM
Yes, the instant checking of the query captures what I had in mind, but... are you going to allow users to somehow create tasks of real life problems or will it be just a course? (Probably the second, based on the project name...silly question)
Post #1461311
Posted Saturday, June 8, 2013 5:22 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 PM
Not sure yet. If you have feedback, please feel free to post it here, send to the webmaster@sqlservercentral.com and we'll take a look.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1461316
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse