Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

What is Functional DBA? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:41 PM
Michael Valentine Jones (5/29/2013)
Are there Non-Functional DBAs?

Yes, but the one I have in mind hasn't posted here in a while and I'm afraid to invoke his name.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1457930
Posted Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:38 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 7:32 PM

I've met a few during my time, yes.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1457972
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:13 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:11 AM

Absolutely! I worked with a DBA once who was non-functional. We had an issue with the amount of data in a database. Our backup to tape process (across a network) was taking over 24 hours. The other DBA told the business group they were saving too much data and needed to delete some data so the backup would take less than 24 hours. The business rule was to keep 7 years of data, which is all they had in the database. DBA1 kept telling them they had to delete data and keep less than 7 years worth. I pointed out to the group that they had other options, since the amount of data they had should be able to be backed up in less than 24 hours....buy a backup system (drives or tapes) that could be connected directly to the server instead of going over the network, allow a Full Backup over the weekend and differentials the rest of the week (a business rule required full backups daily), or accept they won't have backups daily.

I would consider the other DBA non-functional.....they couldn't see any other solution and it was basically their way or no way - regardless of how it affected the business. They didn't care what the business required, they only cared about being able to get their job done.

As I said before, a Functional DBA can be defined (in my opinion) as one who can operate in a way that keeps the business functioning successfully. We as DBAs have to understand not only SQL Server Best Practices, but also the needs of the business. Sometimes, the needs of the business have to over-rule the Best Practices.

-SQLBill

Post #1458277
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:04 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:19 AM
Jeff Moden (5/29/2013)
A "Functional DBA" is one that simply hasn't had too much of his own beer to drink.

Are you suggesting I am dysfunctional ?

Post #1458340
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:49 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:35 AM
Functional means he or she isn't brain dead......yet.

Post #1458368
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:03 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:03 AM
Jeff Moden (5/29/2013)
A "Functional DBA" is one that simply hasn't had too much of his own beer to drink.

That's a "Functioning DBA" :p
Post #1458504
Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 2:54 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:16 PM

Is Business analysis speak, a non-functional DBA would mostly be concerned with performance and security (i.e. the "non-functional requirements"). Of course I think that directly contradicts Jeff's spin on functional DBA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #1458882
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse