Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Temp Tables Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 8:08 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Temp Tables
Post #1456278
Posted Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:29 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:27 AM
Thanks for the question. easy one on last day of week
+1
Post #1456285
Posted Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:53 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:54 AM
Good question. Just yesterday Hugo is explaining about parsing in another QotD.

--
Dineshbabu
Desire to learn new things..
Post #1456293
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 12:24 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:15 AM
I really like this question. It's a very import basic question.
Thanks for question.

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com

Post #1456304
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 2:11 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:28 PM
Easy one to end the workweek. Thanks!

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1456320
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 3:12 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:12 AM
Quite a fun question, and a good explanation. Thanks for that.

It rather nicely shows up the pitfalls of doing a half-way decent job of parsing. The "table already exists" message is of course spurious - the table doesn't exist - but could easily mislead someone into wasting time looking for the "existing" table. If the contents of the THEN and ELSE branches were swapped, the use of USER as a column name would be detected as a syntax error and the table already exists message would not be generated. If the THEN branch is as in the question and the ELSE branch and the keyword ELSE are deleted, there will be no syntax error but DROP TABLE will fail at run time with an object doesn't exist error. This behaviour is pretty silly.

This muddle doesn't exists when creating a view, a procedure, or a function, because rules were introduced to prevent it. Perhaps the MS team considered that permitting conditional table creation was more important than avoiding the muddle. In my view it would have been better to have a rule for table creation of same protective type as the rule for views and avoid the muddle. Or of course to have a parser that detects multiple errors, like the parsers for many other languages, instead of giving up on the first one, and/or to keep the rule that statements that create a table with can't appear twice in the same batch regardless of control flow but provide an appropriate error message quite distinct from the "table already exists" error message.

Good practise is of course never to write code that includes conditional table creation, and it's common for it to be the first statement in a batch (the preceding batch is a conditional drop). So requiring a table creation statement to come before any non-DDL code in a batch would work; but procs have to have a batch each, and a view definition has to be the first statement in a batch, it can't be preceded by any statement, not just not by any non-DDL statement, so I wouldn't see any difficulty with requiring create table to the first statement in a batch. But there's a risk that it would kill a lot of the code out there in the wild, because best practise is not followed by all. So probably it's now too late to do "the right thing" and protect create table in the same way as create view. That makes the parser that doesn't give up the best option, and I suspect that that would be a lot of work starting from the current parser - too much work for MS to consider doing it.

Tom
Post #1456334
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 6:19 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 8:14 AM
Thanks for the question. I only remember this from a different compiler question.
Post #1456434
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 6:54 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:42 AM
Thanks for the question... easy one.... only because I've tried to do this too many times in the past.

I no longer try to do this... because I've found it generally better to make a pair of stored procs, one for each branch and either call them from another "switchboard" proc or have the code itself determine which one to call.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1456465
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 7:04 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:10 AM
Danny Ocean (5/24/2013)
I really like this question. It's a very import basic question.
Thanks for question.

+1
Thanks!
Post #1456475
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 7:52 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 3:43 AM
Easy one for the day

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
Post #1456511
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse