Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

The Control Poll Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:05 PM
I use better version control (Git & Mercurial) for my open source projects than I do for my work related ones. Tis a sad thought...
Post #1453973
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 6:56 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 1:25 PM
Joe - We use dedicated development on SQL Source Control.

Seemed to make most sense at the time!

Cheers

Ben
Post #1453979
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 7:01 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 7:42 AM
Joe - definitely go with Dedicated dev environments for RedGate's SQL Source Control. They've got quite a few resources on their website that explain the differences (videos, whitepapers, etc), but the dedicated environments are easier to maintain.
Post #1453985
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 7:02 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:18 PM
Yeah that's what I am thinking.

I'll check out the whitepapers.
Post #1453988
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 7:14 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:43 AM
Been a VSS user for years.

Cheers
Post #1453995
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 7:27 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:18 PM
I've switched over to using SSDT for most of my DB Development.

Its been a really good (but slightly painful) change over.

Has anyone else done this?
Post #1454000
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 8:34 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Today @ 4:01 PM
In addition to developers' use of version control products in studios apps, we have a database trigger which logs all DDL changes. So every DDL change is logged into a table. In addition to the EventData() data we also log the Change ID initiating the change and any comments. So in production I know exactly when and why objects were changed.
Post #1454042
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 9:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
call.copse (5/17/2013)
We are still non-distributed, and use SourceGear Vault, happy enough. Anyone got compelling reasons to go distributed?

The only time I have not checked any code in recently is when a released version needs patching, an updated version is in progress, and we have not properly forked at release for whatever reason. This would rarely tend to happen to be fair.

From my standpoint the big reason is if you work disconnected at times with multiple people. Connectivity sometimes is an issue and distributed allows that to work better in my limited experience.

However if that's not an issue, not sure it matters. There is this: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/02/version-control-centralized-dvcs/

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1454068
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 9:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

joe.eager (5/17/2013)
For users of the RedGate solution do you recommend Shared Database Development or Dedicated?

I am leaning towards Dedicated, my coworker is leaning towards Shared.

dedicated.

Use a separate database for shared, and you and link that to the same project in VCS. That way you can work without disturbing others. If you break something, you don't break anyone else.

However when you commit in your dedicated database, do a Get Latest in the shared one to "integrate your changes" and test there. I assume you'll test in your dedicated before you commit changes.

Post #1454071
Posted Friday, May 17, 2013 9:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

chrisn-585491 (5/17/2013)
I use better version control (Git & Mercurial) for my open source projects than I do for my work related ones. Tis a sad thought...

Post #1454072
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse