Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Have I been smoking something?? Insert construction question. Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:32 AM
Bhaskar.Shetty (5/24/2013)
Sergiy (5/24/2013)
Phil Parkin (5/24/2013)
[quote] Where is that post?

The first post of this topic.

But saying that you "cannot call insert like that" is clearly wrong.

Not if "like that" means like in the initial post.

But yes, it's wrong, if you take it in the context of following replies.
Than indeed, it becomes a "blanket statement" which does not have enough grounds.

But I was talking not about correctness of that statement (I noted in the end I cannot say it's correct) but about your example.
You managed to build it in such a way that you kinda proved his point!
And you comment about someone being silly made it even more funny.

Even me explaining to phil , that the original post and the solution what he has given has no link between it, didn't understood the original post and calling other silly. what made me furious.

Please reread my post. Use a dictionary, if necessary, to help you understand its meaning. I did not call anyone silly. I said that the post made you look silly - totally different. Even super-intelligent people can look silly sometimes, it does not make them silly.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1456486
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 7:28 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 12:11 AM

Please reread my post. Use a dictionary, if necessary, to help you understand its meaning. I did not call anyone silly. I said that the post made you look silly - totally different. Even super-intelligent people can look silly sometimes, it does not make them silly.

Better you re-read your post and compare it with what you are written above, and its better that we indulge more in solving technical issues than wasting time discussing who's expert and novince. (or silly in your word). . anyways I will like to hear and learn and hear more and mpre from you whole my life.
Post #1456490
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 7:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Sergiy (5/24/2013)
Phil Parkin (5/24/2013)
[quote] Where is that post?

The first post of this topic.

But saying that you "cannot call insert like that" is clearly wrong.

Not if "like that" means like in the initial post.

But yes, it's wrong, if you take it in the context of following replies.
Than indeed, it becomes a "blanket statement" which does not have enough grounds.

But I was talking not about correctness of that statement (I noted in the end I cannot say it's correct) but about your example.
You managed to build it in such a way that you kinda proved his point!
And you comment about someone being silly made it even more funny.

I will accept that, had Bhaskar's response been tied to the original post, it would have been valid. But it wasn't - it came after 19 responses. As it did not quote the initial post, I understood it to be taken in the context of the ongoing discussion, not as an independent and isolated comment. I do not think I am alone.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1456493
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 7:37 AM

SSCertifiable

Bhaskar.Shetty (5/24/2013)

Better you re-read your post and compare it with what you are written above, and its better that we indulge more in solving technical issues than wasting time discussing who's expert and novince. (or silly in your word). . anyways I will like to hear and learn and hear more and mpre from you whole my life.

I can't follow your logic. I have not made any claims about myself or anyone else being expert, novice or anything in between.

Post #1456502
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 8:08 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:23 AM
I don't know why, but whole this thread looks a bit "silly" to me. The OP original post was about INSERT syntax is not the same as he would expect.
I'm not sure that this sort of thing worth of discussion. As it's really up to the personal preferences and expectations.

I can list few of mine one:

Why UPDATE and not simply CHANGE
Why there is no CLEAR [tablename]?
And at the end, why SELECT?
What does it do? Doesn't it takes and displays the data?
Therefor TAKE * FROM or GET * FROM or SHOW * FROM or DISPLAY * FROM or etc, would be more logical than SELECT which is kind of similar to CHOOSE, at least based on my knowledge of English...
It's endless

Are you all been smoking something?????????

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Post #1456521
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 8:37 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
OK. Now I am starting to wonder about the wiseness of opening this argument.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #1456539
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 8:47 AM

SSCertifiable

Tobar (5/24/2013)
OK. Now I am starting to wonder about the wiseness of opening this argument.

Nah, I'm looking forward to your next thread: "would Jesus have made a good database developer?" or something similar, I hope

Time for a beer.

Post #1456548
Posted Friday, May 24, 2013 9:20 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:23 AM
Nah, I'm looking forward to your next thread: "would Jesus have made a good database developer?" ....

And if so, who would be the best one in SQL: Jesus, Buddha, Allah, Vishnu or some one form older school, Zeus or Ra...

As old Russian proverb says: "If my grandma had balls she would be my grandpa"
I guess there is ought to be something similar in English, as it's so obvious, isn't it?

I will need something stronger than beer today, and weather is appropriate

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Post #1456578
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse