Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Replication -- Will blocking occur at the Subscriber like at the Publisher? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:43 AM
Hello, I have a table on Database A that is frequently updated by Application A.

Application B needs to frequently SELECT from this table in a time critical process, so obviously some blocking occurs.

I was thinking of Replicating the table to Database B and do the SELECT from that table.

What I am unsure of if I will get exactly the same symptoms i.e if an UPDATE lock occurs on Database A (Publisher) therefore blocking SELECTS then an UPDATE lock will also occur on Database B (Subscriber) therefore still blocking SELECTs...so basically more complexity for no gain!!!

Is this what would happen?

thanks
Post #1452320
Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 5:24 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:02 AM
It could, but remember that the original statement is not what is replicated, the resulting CRUD operations are (minus the R's) so blocking should be reduced.

Said another way, imagine you issue a MERGE statement that has a 5-table join in the source and a very complex WHEN MATCHED clause to determine when to update. The MERGE could take 10 seconds to complete and cause lots of blocking, but it may only update 3 rows. In this scenario only 3 UPDATE statements would be Replicated and they would have the Primary Key in the WHERE clause which, all things being reasonable, should complete in well under a second on the Subscribers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1452366
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse