Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Trying to copy database from my laptop to my desktop pc Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 7, 2014 2:00 PM
You will have to post that on an Oracle forum, this is a SQL Server forum. SQL and Oracle do not play well together.

Another thing, What are you doing allowing anyone to load software on your box? How do you know what else they did?

Andrew SQLDBA
Post #1451876
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:29 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:34 AM
ok i will find and an oracle forum. sorry to post on the wrong forum. like i said a nube here. And really oracle doesnt go well with SQL? thats the first time i m heariing that considdering wherever i have read oracle consists of sql and pl/sql. not to mention everyone has told me that its a great line to go into oracle. Also i trust this guy, he is not some guy off the road. he has been a DBA for quite a while now over 10+ years. he barely has time but i learned how to program c with a book and online forums so i figured i could do this also.
Post #1451877
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:36 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

[SQL] is a language, not an application or database server. [SQL Server] as with all other relational and non-relational databases systems use [SQL] as the language that is used to query/manage the database system.

pl-sql is different that t-sql pl is Oracle based, which is cursive based. SQL Server is set based and uses t-sql Much more advanced language than pl-sql

Andrew SQLDBA

Post #1451878
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:47 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:34 AM
thank you so much for your input andrew. may i ask which one has more jobs available? which on pays more? and is more stable platform for the future? is it bad to get my OCP via oracle testing? should i not do pl/sql? i only have 2 tests left to complete my ocp. is oracle a bad platform?
Post #1451880
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:48 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 PM
This is a Microsoft SQL Server site, not a generic, any database engine site. Specifically this forum is for Microsoft SQL Server 2008. We're SQL Server people here, not Oracle users for the most part.

May I suggest http://www.dbforums.com? They have an Oracle section.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1451887
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:55 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:14 PM
AndrewSQLDBA (5/11/2013)
pl-sql is different that t-sql pl is Oracle based, which is cursive based. SQL Server is set based and uses t-sql Much more advanced language than pl-sql

pl/sql is set-based as well, though it has a lot of procedural aspects (pl-SQL actually stands for procedural SQL). pl-sql is in fact a much more complete language than T-SQL (at least comparing the pl-sql I used to write 10 odd years ago). Later versions of pl/sql have object-orientated aspects, allowing declaration of classes for example

Calling one 'more advanced' than the other is a disservice to both, they are very different languages even though they're both based on the ANSI standards. pl/sql kinda resembles a cross between ANSI sql and PASCAL

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1451888
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:28 AM

SSC Eights!

Gail
Thank you for the clarification. I learned something new. I was taking my judgement from my experience years ago with PL-SQL.

Hope that you have a good day.

Andrew SQLDBA
Post #1451903
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:26 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:55 AM
Take backup of database and restore the same in diff machine. i guess u r referring to oracle server, you can get the same in oracle websites
Post #1455411
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse