Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Trying to copy database from my laptop to my desktop pc Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:34 AM
Hi, as you can tell i am a nube here. I am trying to copy SQL database established locally on my laptop and copy it to my desktop pc so i can practice running queries on there. I have tried to migrate and i failed. i have the password for the schema created on my laptop. now am i trying to create a new schema on my desktop? or do i copy the schema also? i am also unable to pass the "test connection" when i create any new schema on my desktop. please help
Post #1451838
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:31 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:21 AM
The most simple way would be a backup and restore. I am assuming the two boxes are on the same network, or in the same domain. Create a full backup, copy it to the other box, perform a restore over the empty database that you just created.

Andrew SQLDBA
Post #1451842
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

@ Andrew, when you say " two boxes are on the same network", i share the same home network. these are merely just practice databases so i can practice on my desktop as well as my laptop. And what do you mean on the same domain? do you mean create exact same schema on my desktop? and am i using RMAN to backup and restore? or what tool because google says its not possible to back up and recover viz oracle sql developer.

Thanks for all your help Andrew.
Post #1451844
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:36 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 6:05 AM
A SQL Server database backup. So from SQL Server Management Studio, right click the database Tasks-> Backup. Copy the backup file that's created over to your other machine and restore it (Open management studio, right click the databases folder, restore database)

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1451850
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:56 PM
Forum Newbie

i am not using SQL Server Management Studio. I am using orcle sql developer verison 1.5.3 on my laptop and ver 3.2.20.09 on my desktop.
Post #1451854
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:47 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

You did not mention these are on you own network. So there will most likely not be a domain. I was giving you info on how to copy the file from one box to the other.

I would strongly suggest that you use the tools that come with SQL Server if you are going to use SQL Server. They are better than any other.

As Gila stated, a full backup and restore. On the box where you want to restore. Simple create a database, you can name it the same name or not. It does not matter. Then follow the instructions that Gila sent on restoring a database.

Simple as that.

Andrew SQLDBA
Post #1451856
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:23 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

nerd_buzz (5/11/2013)
i am not using SQL Server Management Studio. I am using orcle sql developer verison 1.5.3 on my laptop and ver 3.2.20.09 on my desktop.

Why would you use an Oracle dev tool when all versions of SQL Server (including express) come with SQL Server Management Studio?

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1451865
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:25 PM

SSC-Forever

AndrewSQLDBA (5/11/2013)
Simple create a database, you can name it the same name or not. It does not matter. Then follow the instructions that Gila sent on restoring a database.

Err.. why create a database first?

Gail Shaw

Post #1451866
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:31 PM

SSC Eights!

I always create them first, one to be able to set the directories where I want. I know.... I could do it all on the restore, just the way I do it.

Andrew SQLDBA
Post #1451867
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:09 PM
Forum Newbie

well the only reason i m using oracle dev is because my so called "teacher" loaded it on my computer and told me to practice on it with a database he loaded on my system. But i am willing to try the oracle server. is that available on the oracle website for free? like i said i am nube so i am getting some practice done while i am trying to finish my OCP.
Post #1451875
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse