Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Separation of MDF and LDF files in a VM enviornment Expand / Collapse
Author

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:30 AM
Within a VM environment that is using one massive array of hard disks. is it really beneficial to create 2 VM Drives out of the same array to separate your MDF and LDF files?

it would seem if I am carving out 2 drives from the same array of disks, it sort of defeats the purpose of separation. the array will still have to do sequential and random read/writes on the same physical disk, i.e. no performance gain.

or am I totally missing the concept of VM Environments and how carving out disk drives work?

SQL_Padre
aka Robert M Bishop

"Do or do not, there is no try" -- Yoda
Post #1451602
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 12:18 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 8:27 AM
In my experience, they would have to be on seperate LUNs, not the same LUN carved out into 2 drives. I'm somewhat SAN-challenged in my terminology, but I think that is correct.
Post #1461702
Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 12:40 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:49 AM
I've used the rule in the past of logs get mirrored and data gets RAID 5. It seems to be a losing battle against the network guys who like to buy TB size drives and treat sqlserver as if it worked like file systems. I ask for many separate medium size physical drives and they usually just stick database files on the NAS.
At a minimum separating clustered/heap data from nonclustered indexes, log, and tempdb will give pretty good performance. We spend time optimizing only to have the disk access get single-threaded in the end by lack of understanding with network guys.
Post #1461715
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse