Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

What is a semicolon used for in SQL Server? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:43 AM
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)
Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)
Not a huge fan of the expected requirement of the semi-colon at the end of each statement.

They do come in handy occasionally to help distinguish the end of some big queries or complex queries.

So does a comment for the next query.

one character or N characters

Sometimes taking the lazy 1 character approach is just so much easier.

The N characters you're talking about are going to be there anyway because I document my code.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1451770
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 4:12 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:10 AM
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)
Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)
Not a huge fan of the expected requirement of the semi-colon at the end of each statement.

They do come in handy occasionally to help distinguish the end of some big queries or complex queries.

And the semicolon ENDs the statement where as a comment may not as you could have comments embedded to describe derived tables and their use.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1451771
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 5:04 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I understand what the semi-colon can do so far as ending a statement but it worked just fine before without it before. I don't know what your formatting convention is but I don't need a semi-colon at the end of even the longest of queries to tell me that a new query has started whether the code has any comments or not.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1451784
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 5:15 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 7:19 AM
Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)
Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)

The N characters you're talking about are going to be there anyway because I document my code.

I know. And I typically document mine (though not as much of a book as yours ;) )

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1451786
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 9:20 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:10 AM
Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
I understand what the semi-colon can do so far as ending a statement but it worked just fine before without it before. I don't know what your formatting convention is but I don't need a semi-colon at the end of even the longest of queries to tell me that a new query has started whether the code has any comments or not.

I come from a COBOL environment where (at one time) every sentence had to be terminated by a period. When I started learning SQL (T-SQL) I saw the optional semicolon and just started using it, and I still do today.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1451806
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:34 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 AM
Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
I understand what the semi-colon can do so far as ending a statement but it worked just fine before without it before.

Increasing complexity of the language. SQL is not an LLR-1 language as it is and hence is not that easy to write a parser for, on that jandles all constructs. As more and more gets added, so the parser has to get more and more and more complex. Statement terminators are a definitive way to tell the parser that a statement has finished and another one is about to start.

You said earlier that the parser can always tell if a semi-colon is needed, but it actually can't. Get the WITH wrong in a query that has hints and you get an error saying that a semicolon is required when it isn't. That's a default error for 'Can't figure this out, there's a WITH keyword, maybe they left out a ;' With C++, leaving out a semicolon got you 20 or more errors that never once mentioned a missing semicolon that would start on the line following the missing ;

I don't know what your formatting convention is but I don't need a semi-colon at the end of even the longest of queries to tell me that a new query has started whether the code has any comments or not.

Semicolons aren't for you.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1451816
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Yep. I understand and appreciate all of that. It's a darned shame that it has to come to that.

I kowtowed to the future requirement for semi-colons and started using them religiously even in my posts about a year ago. Us old dogs can learn new tricks if it means keeping the supply of bones coming in.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1451851
Posted Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:22 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 AM
To be honest, I doubt they'll be required everywhere anytime in the next 8-10 years. Required in more and more places around new features, yes. Required everywhere, well, we still haven't got rid of old SQL 2000 stuff that's been deprecated for close on 8 years...

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1451864
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Understood. Now, if we could just get them to stop deprecating and removing useful stuff like xp_GetFileDetails and sp_MakeWebTask.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1451959
Posted Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:33 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 7:00 AM
The semicolon character is a statement terminator. It is a part of the ANSI SQL-92 standard, but was never used within Transact-SQL.

Jamie Ingram

We are the pilgrims, master.
We shall go always, a little further.
Post #1451973
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse