Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

What is a semicolon used for in SQL Server? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 11:17 AM
Hello All,
I have a co worker that uses the semicolon at the end of his SQL statements like

Select * From Table1(nolock) t1
Where t1.column is not null;

Besides it telling SQL Server that it is the end of the statement, is this good or normal practice? In C# it is required and is this where this has come from? I am just curious and would like to know best practices.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

The pain of Discipline is far better than the pain of Regret!
Post #1451388
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:41 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:51 AM
It's not required except for certain pieces at this time, such as ending the previous statement before starting a WITH component.

However, it does no harm and is 'proper' coding, even if unnecessary. I've never made a habit of using them nor have most standards I've worked through but at the same time there's really no reason not to. It's just a style preference.

One thing they do make easier though is finding the end of long queries by simply searching for ;s.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1451389
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 9:05 PM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 11:17 AM
Hello Craig and thank you for your reply. You make a great point and I would agree. I am going to make them a part of all of my queries.
Thanks again,

Tim Harms

The pain of Discipline is far better than the pain of Regret!
Post #1451399
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 12:39 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Saturday, September 6, 2014 2:15 PM
In future versions of sql server the ; will be compulsory after a statement too I believe.

There's no kill switch on awesome!
Post #1451423
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 2:55 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 2:35 PM
Currently it's required at the end of a merge and the end of the statement prior to a CTE. REquirements may well increase in future as the T-SQL language gets more and more complex.

p.s. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidlean/archive/2009/04/06/sql-server-nolock-hint-other-poor-ideas.aspx

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1451473
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 4:49 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
The semicolons are required in Oracle PL/SQL, but only in specific cases in T-SQL. Personally, I think it's just good coding practice. I've always done it and never run into a problem because of it. At this time, I think it boils down to mostly personal preference, but it makes sense to me to always include it.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1451515
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 3:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:32 PM
Personally, I find the semi-colon to be a really stupid and unnecessary aggravation. T-SQL worked for years without it until CTEs came around. What's really going to tick me off is when semi-colons actually do become required, you leave one out, and the damned code is smart enough to basically say, "you're missing a semi-colon at this line".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1451760
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 3:56 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 9:21 AM
Not a huge fan of the expected requirement of the semi-colon at the end of each statement.

They do come in handy occasionally to help distinguish the end of some big queries or complex queries.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1451763
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 4:00 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:32 PM
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)
Not a huge fan of the expected requirement of the semi-colon at the end of each statement.

They do come in handy occasionally to help distinguish the end of some big queries or complex queries.

So does a comment for the next query.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1451767
Posted Friday, May 10, 2013 4:02 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 9:21 AM
Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)

So does a comment for the next query.

one character or N characters

Sometimes taking the lazy 1 character approach is just so much easier.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1451769
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse