Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456

Timestamps Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:32 PM
Hugo Kornelis (5/6/2013)
To the many people complaining they "lost" points - you didn't. You still have as many points as you had before, and by wasting yours and other people's time with your whining, you even earned an extra point. (Can someone please give Steve an entry-level book about raising kids? You know, one that explain you should not reward unwanted behaviour?)

Heh... I see that you've gotten several extra points pointing that out.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1450843
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:56 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:37 PM
I was too fast. Lost my points. Good question though.
Post #1453374
Posted Monday, May 20, 2013 1:22 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:29 AM
Nice question. Had to give lots of time to go through each statement.
Post #1454417
Posted Monday, May 20, 2013 2:38 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:03 AM
Hugo Kornelis (5/6/2013)
And finally, to Steve - I know we've discussed this before, and I know it won't happen, but I just have to ask again. Can you please, please, please get rid of that stupid point system. The only effect I see it having is to encourage behaviour that benefits nobody.

What he said.
Post #1454436
Posted Saturday, May 25, 2013 2:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:32 PM
Just to be clear, it's not so much "points" that people value. It's the reported percentage of correct answers that people value because it's one of those things that can look pretty good on a resume.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1456817
Posted Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 5:23 AM
Jeff Moden (5/25/2013)
Just to be clear, it's not so much "points" that people value. It's the reported percentage of correct answers that people value because it's one of those things that can look pretty good on a resume.

Are you sure about the resume? I don't know as I joined SSC during my recent job and I'm not responsible of employees.
I suppose that minority of HR in our country even heard about SSC.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Post #1456856
Posted Monday, September 16, 2013 5:01 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:53 PM
Hugo Kornelis (5/6/2013)
What bothers me most about the point system is that it causes some people who feel a question was unfair to respond downright angry, demanding "points back" and stuff. I have no idea how value-less points cause people to expose their dark side in such ways. But I don't like it, and if taking away the points system would rid us of those post, I am all for it.

I do maintain that some of the "thank you" posters are, as far as I can see, not sincere. I especially get this feeling when I see a single person post equal-worded "thank you" posts in all topics of the last two weeks, and then does it again in another two weeks. I may be wrong, but it simply does not give me a sincere feeling.

For people who occasionally post a "thank you" after reading a question they like, or if they feel an author deserves to be compensated for an unfair bashing, I have no problem at all. It is not something I myself do very often, but I have no issue with those who do so,

However, just to ensure I am not misunderstood - the main reason why I would like Steve to get rid of the points system is to get rod of the nasty and hostile messages of people who are angry when they miss points.

Well, Hugo, I possibly do understand quite well your motivation to flame a little bit against the point system.
On the other hand, I myself appreciated this point system because I wanted to have proof of my development in the SQL area. And the point system gave me motivation at starters.
Now some days are gone, and I got too impatient watching me still being a "Valued member". I got more interested in the technical aspects of the QotD. And for _me_ it is very valuable to see which people are complaining, which are just writing a "thanx" and which people's articles are worth reading.

Yours definitely are of the latter. So thanx to you, too

Post #1494997
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456

Permissions Expand / Collapse