Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SSMS Stored procedure help Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 3, 2014 4:58 PM
Hi professionals.

We have software written by a 3rd party vendor and I am trying to read one of there stored procedures under "programmablity", "stored procedures" and then right clicking on modify procedure.

The problem is modify is grayed out and i cannot click it.

So my 2 questions are

1: Can this be read in any way or is it not possible.?

2: How can I compile one of my procedures so that I can have it grayed out too.?

Thanks
Post #1449016
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:56 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:26 PM
There are a couple of ways that can be grayed out, but to get rid of a series of Q&A... are you the sa on the box or DBO of the database? If not, ask someone with sa to see if they can script it.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1449018
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:59 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

hi there

Yes I am the sa on the box

thanks
Post #1449019
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:11 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Final check, what does it say when you rt-click -> Script Stored Procedure as -> Create To -> New Query Editor window?

My guess is they most likely encrypted the procedures. That encryption can be broken, so don't take it to heart as a method to use (other than to annoy savvy DBAs), it's really to deter the rabble than to stop serious reverse engineering attempts. I won't post methods of unencrypting here for obvious reasons, but google will turn up plenty of information on that particular subject if you're curious.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

Post #1449020
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:16 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

yeah it just comes up that the textheader is not available etc due to insufficient access rights so yeah looks like its encripted

also my other question , how would I encrypt my own procedures in ssms

thanks
alan
Post #1449021
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:23 PM

SSCertifiable

CREATE PROCEDURE TestProc
WITH ENCRYPTION
AS
GO

- Craig Farrell

Post #1449022
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:23 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

right i have figured out how to encrypt my procedures by doing

alter procedure procedure name with encryption as

bla bla bla

now I have a procedure with a little padlock next to it and the modify is now grayed out.

so my problem now is that I am the owner of this procedure but I cannot modify it because it is now encrypted and grayed out. is there any way round this

thanks
Post #1449023
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:26 PM

SSCertifiable

alan_lynch (5/2/2013)

so my problem now is that I am the owner of this procedure but I cannot modify it because it is now encrypted and grayed out. is there any way round this

thanks

Officially? Keep a copy of the source script text so that you can work on the procedure. TFS, Sourcesafe, pick a place.

- Craig Farrell

Post #1449024
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:29 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

so does that mean my procedure I have encrypted is offically unreadable,editable even though I am the owner because I have not kept the original source???
Post #1449025
Posted Friday, May 3, 2013 4:53 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, July 15, 2013 6:32 AM
You can use any third party tool to decrypet encrypted procedure
Post #1449127
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse