Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSMS very laggy when typing a query Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:05 PM
This is a strange one. I am typing a query in SQL Server Management Studio. Nothing is executing on the server. I actually get an hourglass as I type the query at which point I am forced to wait up to 10 seconds before I can type again. I may get one word typed before I get another hourglass.

I tried to RDP to the server directly (thinking it may be something on my computer) and the problem happened there as well. I did a task manager and all the processors were maxed out and the memory usage was maxed as well. SSMS was using 100% of the server.

Again, nothing was executing.

Any ideas?
Post #1447710
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:04 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:36 AM
Hi,
Is intellisense enabled?
If it is, can you try to disable it and see if the problem persists?
Post #1448371
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:05 PM
I have disabled intellisense and testing. So far, no lagging. That is a good sign.
Post #1448588
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 6:05 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Sunday, September 29, 2013 1:24 AM
Find your \Local Settings\Temp folder and delete any .tmp files you find there. These files don't seem to clean up after themselves and after awhile you get hundreds of them and SSMS bogs down to a crawl. You may not be able to delete all of the files without closing all your local SQL server instances first, but cleaning up these files usually helps greatly.

Post #1448656
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse