Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Generating output to text file from SP via SQLCMD Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:35 AM
Hi all,

I have created a stored procedure to report on login mappings which I want to be able to run from SQLCMD and place the output in a text file on a shared directory. The SP is setup and working but I cannot find a way to output the results to file. Does anyone know if this is even possible and advise on a way to complete this?
The plan is to hand over this requirement to another team for checking so I wanted to provide some instructions where they could just copy and paste the SQL into a CMD window, adding the Login account variable, which would then produce a text file they could use for auditing requirements.

Thanks, Mike
Post #1446355
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:49 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:05 AM
Have you tried SSIS?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1446358
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:26 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

The problem really is the login ID variable and the people who I need to hand the task over to not having any SQL skills. The theory being : if you see this error, copy this code into a cmd line and check this output file for the login mappings, add to audit report.
Post #1446368
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:34 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

why dont you schedule it with the help of SSIS and Agent services.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1446373
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

we could do but we're talking one login issue every few days and to create, manage and schedule this on 150+ servers, reporting on 1000's of login accounts isn't feasible, just to get the login mappings for one user that might try to access the wrong database. So I thought the easiest way with the lowest overhead is just to run the sp to check on the single login as part of the larger audit report.
I also want to use the same process for another few tasks I wanted to hand over.
Post #1446386
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:37 AM
Ten Centuries

try this
osql -E -S server_name -d database_name -Q "EXEC schema.spname param1, param2">C:\Filename.txt

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1446399
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:41 AM
Ten Centuries

sorry i am not an expert on command prompt codes.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1446402
Posted Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:47 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Excellent, that's done it. not sure how I missed that one.
Thanks
Post #1446407
Posted Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:41 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:10 AM
How to get query for effected table data from sys...
Post #1447241
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 1:30 AM
Ten Centuries

pavan,

i didnt get your question, can you explain it?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1447392
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse