Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Transaction Log Growing due to Pending Transaction (Replication) Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:30 AM
SQL Server 2005 SP4 with Transactional replication.

I have this Database Log, which keeps growing due to a Pending transaction in the Database Log. (DB in SIMPLE recovery Mode)

If i issue a DBCC OPENTRAN i get :

Replicated Transaction Information:
Oldest distributed LSN : (0:0:0)
Oldest non-distributed LSN : (47839439:351:1)

The following Query using fn_dblog gives me LSN and Transaction ID Info.
select * from::fn_dblog(NULL,'47839439:351:1')

If i have to Shrink the Log i have to use sp_repldone to mark the transactions as replicated or skipped.

I take precautions in running this statement as this is not always what you want to do manually as it is internally done by the Log Reader Agent.

EXEC sp_repldone @xactid = NULL, @xact_segno = NULL, @numtrans = 0, @time = 0, @reset=1

Now.. What if i Just want to mark just the transaction in question as done.. using the @xactid

How can i translate the CurrentLSN or TransactionID or LogRecord or Transaction SID or any other vlue to--> @xactid.....

Maninder
www.dbanation.com
Post #1439896
Posted Monday, April 8, 2013 11:37 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Anyone..

Maninder
www.dbanation.com
Post #1439959
Posted Monday, April 8, 2013 2:56 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:06 PM
MannySingh (4/8/2013)
Anyone..

Are you doing transaction log backups?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1440030
Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:00 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:21 PM
Check this url.. it may help.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/repltalk/archive/2011/08/23/using-sp-repldone-to-skip-a-transaction.aspx
Post #1440299
Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:02 AM
SSChasing Mays

Jeff Moden (4/8/2013)
MannySingh (4/8/2013)
Anyone..

Are you doing transaction log backups?

if you check my question.. i have already mentioned the DB is in simple recovery mode, so Log backups are out of question..

Maninder
www.dbanation.com
Post #1440341
Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:03 AM
SSChasing Mays

dwivedi.neeraj (4/9/2013)
Check this url.. it may help.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/repltalk/archive/2011/08/23/using-sp-repldone-to-skip-a-transaction.aspx

If you check my question.. I know about that command.. i am curious to now if the column values as mentioned can be converted to anything meaningful.

Maninder
www.dbanation.com
Post #1440342
Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:28 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Anything meaningful?

I though you are looking for something to "What if i Just want to mark just the transaction in question as done.. using the @xactid ", and the url which I mentioned mentions that if you have transaction id info, you can get xdesid for there.

Also use sp_repltrans to get xdesid & xact_seqno and match the xdesid from fn_dblog results.
Post #1440428
Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:00 PM
SSChasing Mays

yes i had gone through all of those blogs, but unfortunately none of those work.. the DBCC OPENTRAN is still showing the same info.
Does a SQL Service restart Help in this case?

Maninder
www.dbanation.com
Post #1440490
Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:23 PM
SSC Eights!

As you have mentioned that the recovery model is simple, so I believe yes. But I have never done that. But I have used sp_repldone and worked as expected. But before that I checked if the Log growth was really being caused by replication by running following command..

select log_reuse_wait,log_reuse_wait_desc from sys.databases

If there is something for replication then sp_repldone solves the issue.

Sorry I was not much help.

Post #1440521
Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:01 AM
SSChasing Mays

Yes it is the replication that is the issue.
even if i run sp_repldone, another transaction comes back, but i am not able to figure out any meaningful information from the fn_dblog like the AllocationUnit etc as they are all NULL... Or i cannot translate the LogRecord or Transaction SID to something meaningful.

Maninder
www.dbanation.com
Post #1440786
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse